Skip to content

Is it legal to take pictures from another website and place them into your website?

Hello, does anyone knows about this law? 

I am from Portugal and would like to take pictures of some clothes from another website of United States  for my own website store to resell them

Cheers

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Im no lawyer but I thunk it's not legal. Else there wouldn't be lawyers running around making money with people using original product images on ebay.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    @tgoogle - I'm not a lawyer either, but if these product images came from the manufacturer - Then it will probably be ok.

After all, the manufacturer wants to sell their products and usually allows vendors to use images to help sales.

But if the images were created by the website you mentioned then it will be another story.
  • @tgoogle,

As above, provided you've got a legit site/business, then just contact the manufacturer, explain what you are doing, and they will normally be happy to give you whatever product images you like.
  • that's not illegal lol... if that was illegal google images search wouldn't exist.. think about it.... that's why some people watermark pictures because if its in the internet its public.
    @rodol - That's not true mate, if the image is copyrighted then using it is illegal, whether it shows in Google images or not (You can filter by license there remember).

Whether or not the copyright owner will do anything to try and stop you/sue you is another matter.
  • @gooner - You've just uncovered how Getty images make 90% of their income. lol
    lol yea business is booming.
  • @gooner didn't know you can filter by license on google image, thanks.... just found this http://areweconnected.com/wordpress/how-to-find-and-use-images-and-not-get-sued/ lols i will still live in my own reality and believe that's not illegal =D
    @rodol - Haha i steal images all the time too, but i don't advise others to do it in case they get sued and blame me lol