Skip to content

How can I use SER like SB?

for one specific project, I dont want SER to scrape from its own footprints file (for example, one footprint is "powered by wordpress" etc) I want to give it my own footprints to scrape. Like the way you give SB footprints and harvest. can I do that?

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited January 2014

Yes, you need to edit the footprints in the engine file. You will then want to rename the file as it has unique footprints. When you rename it, it will automatically appear on all projects with that new name. The original engine will still be listed.

The reason you want to rename it is because every time you update SER, it updates all engines. So if you just change the footprints and call it a day, it will get written over on your next update. So just rename it.

We all have the ability to edit engine footprints. I've done it, and after all the farting around I did, it didn't make a huge difference. So I ended up dropping that whole thing.

I personally think you will have better success if you use SB or GScraper to scrape. SER scrapes, but not with the speed of the other two - after all, it is doing a whole bunch of functions besides scraping. So if you are after a big list for a specific engine, I would use the other products.

• There is also footprint editor developed by Santos which is quite good. However, due to too much work, I do not use it.

I tried 2 days scraping too with both - SB and Gscraper, but I had loads of not matching URLs which instead wasted a lot of time processing URLs. So in the vain, I gave up together and just being happy with an LPM of 15-20 in SER.

Maybe I am the worst scraper I think and its not a problem of those scrapers as there are lot of impressive scrapers here on this forum as well which have grown quite a sizable list with those tools.
  • @Pratik I think I'm the same as you when it comes to scraping. I've followed videos and tutorials but my lists I create a less than 1% successful. I am going to use Santos' footprint editor next, keep on forgetting to use it. 

I have tried another tool called Footprint Factory which is pretty good but I found that again I must have been doing something wrong. I think it would be better to have Gscraper with FF but I don't have that, only SBox.

I'm getting 30-50LPM and rankings are going up on new, old and previously-penalised sites so I'm happy too.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    Fellas, i was a novice when it came to scraping a month ago. I saw the video series by @donaldbeck which shows you some very nice techniques (at least 5% successful from raw scrapes on some techniques) and from there i have developed a couple of method of my own.

Once you get into you can get really good results and even at 5% success i saw massive increase in LPM and total verified. I never get below 60 LPM on any installation, with any number of projects and any other variables included.

The guys on here that have been scraping for a long time must be getting incredible results.
  • @JudderMan @gooner 35-60 LPM is still a handsome number. Coming from someone who struggles between 15-20 haha.

Yeah, I agree, as long as you get the desired rankings, its great.

Btw gooner, avatar changed? You sound like a hardcore Arsey fan. :)
  • donaldbeckdonaldbeck Advanced SER Videos -> http://bit.ly/1ySrbwu | Learn SER For Free Step By Step -> http://sertips.com
    @gooner - Glad I could get your wheels turning a bit in regards to scraping, that's what it's all about.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    @pratik - According to my gf i'm obsessed with football, better than being obsessed with shopping i say :D

@donaldbeck - Thanks man, really enjoyed the vids and defo helped a lot to get started. Most people when they start scraping just look at footprint + keywords i think, but you show there are better methods.

• I do plan on buying @donaldbeck 's video series probably in the next week or so....it's been on my to-do list for almost a month...