Skip to content

Project Setup Question

Hey Everyone,

Just got SER and feel slammed with options. Almost like opening photoshop for the first time, lol.

Have spent a good bit of reading and want to thank @ron, ozz and others who've done some awesome contributions.

However, I still have a question that I can't figure out:

Let's say you have a money site with 10 inner pages. Do you just take all the URLs of your domain, setup 1 tiered linking campaign and throw all the URLs in? Or do you create a new project for each inner page?

If yes to the 2nd question, what's the benefit over creating just 1 project for the whole site?

Would appreciate your thoughts,
Thanks!

Comments

• Try it both ways, but I prefer one project per URL or per keyword. You can link them together, though, or keep them separate. That's the beauty about it all, test test test and test to see what works for you and your sites. Not all sites react the same. Not all on-page SEO works with all sites. There are plenty of anomalies across so many variations and options in SEO as a whole.

• Thanks for the reply, JudderMan. I get the test, test, test part and I definitely will do that, but for now I'd rather like to get going instead of setting up dozens of projects for each of my inner pages if it's unnecessary.

That's why I was asking for the reasoning - if you set up a project for each of your inner pages (instead of 1 project for your whole site) - what's the benefit over the other option?

That's assuming that nowadays the keywords your pages will rank for are determined by your onpage optimization, not what you have in the anchors. I know that's a different topic but just saying.
  • This is how I do it, and that does not mean it's right or wrong it's just my way and my opinions not sure about others:

widgets.com - homepage
    widgets.com/blue-widgets - rank page for 'blue widgets' have an SER campaign for blue widgets, big blue widgets, rare blue widgets, whatever other variation of 'blue widgets'.
    etc etc

If I have 100 different types of widgets, I'd have 100 projects on SER going.

However, you 'could' rank a category page ie. brand.com - brand.com/categories/widgets/ rank this page as all types of widgets, red, blue, green, big, small if they all are shown within that category page.

The latter style is more of the silo effect - have a look at various siloing sites posts on here and elsewhere if you don't already know about it. Personally I'd rather push each page of a website for its respective keyword especially if it has good on-page SEO, rather than wait for the links to filter through and the optimised page to ranked from the silo pulling it up the ranks, but that's just me.

FWIW I've got 500 projects running but I am trimming them down a little and combining similar variations of keywords to projects, but I'll still have 400 I reckon (this is across numerous sites hitting many many keywords.
  • Thanks, that makes sense. Well damn...that's almost 1 VPS per site you want to promote, lol. 500 projects, congrats on the perseverance. I better get cracking.