Skip to content

Should I submit my inner pages to GSA indexer?

edited November 2013 in GSA SEO Indexer
I have a few wordpress sites with 1000's of product post inner pages all over 6 months old. When testimg with a site:www.sitename.com, one of my sites shows that most the inner pages were indexed by google, yahoo, bing. As a result it has great traffic and sales just from hits on those inner pages and not much seo or Ser work. The other sites however, when testing with site:www.siteneame.com, show that only few inner pages were ever indexed. Resulting in crap sales and traffic on those sites. I did nothing different with the un indexed sites so I have no idea why their inner pages keep being ignored by the search engines. My question: can I create a list of my inner page site urls's and submit to the GSA indexer or an indexing service? Will this be bad for the overall site and the home page in general. Will I get penalized submitting my own sites inner page urls's to be indexed? I have about two thousand un-indexed inner pages on two sites. I've already made a text file list of the urls's so all I have to do is submit them to index - I'm just fearful of destroying the sites with penalties by doing that....

Comments

• davbeldavbel UK
    edited November 2013
    I'd create projects within SER and build links to them and then submit those links to indexing services.

I'd be careful about the number that index per day and try to set up a "drip feed"
  • 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited November 2013
    Why not just submit the URLs directly to the google index via webmaster tools, using the 'Fetch as google bot' function?
  • @daybel I did try that already. It took a massive amount of time and work, the projects have been running for months, but I have not seen results for those inner pages - still not getting indexed. @2take2 I have thought about that but just a little afraid to list my sites with the webmaster tool. I may just give it try I guess my main question : is there a danger in sending your own sites inner page urls's to an indexer(especially if you have 2 thousand inner page urls's)
  • 2Take22Take2 UK
    edited December 2013
    Hi @mike,

To answer your question directly, yes, if you submit the URLs to one of the monthly subscription indexing services (I personally wouldn't use an indexer though) and drip feed them, then it *should* be ok, but I can't say 100% that it wouldn't come back to bite you.

However, if you have been building links to the pages for months and none of them are getting indexed, then I would suggest that there may be something else going on, and even if you could get them indexed, it might not be the best course of action.

Are these 'product' pages all unique?
  • Sounds like a sitemap problem or spiders are getting blocked from seeing your inner pages. Is it on WordPress? If so, do you have Yoast set up on it? Yoast gives problems or conflicts with other plugins, I've stopped using it completely.
  • Which plugins was Yoast conflicting with? It's the main SEO wp plugin I use so wondering if there is something I should be looking out for.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    I discovered some time back that if I have a footer link that has sitemap.xml in it, then the site not only gets indexed faster, but it gets indexed in its entirety.

If you have videos anywhere on your site, then get the google video sitemap plugin, and make sure you have its link in your footer just like above.

I personally do not see any issue in submitting all pages to an indexing service. I just think if you do what I suggest above going forward, you probably will not have a problem with getting pages indexed.
  • @Wizzardly I haven't found out exactly which plugin Yoast conflicts with but across 30 sites I've seen that Yoast is the problem. I now use any other XML sitemap plugin. All sites have various different plugins (not all sites are mine) so there is no definitive answer. Once you know what works with on-page SEO, you don't need the plugin anyway. Use All in One or any other on-page plugin if you really need it. Yoast is crap now in my opinion/from experience.
  • Sounds advice @ron, thanks. Such a simple thing to do yet conceptualizing it takes some thought. I usually spam hard enough that I don't have any trouble getting pages ranked.
  • Thanks Judder. Still not sure what you mean by conflict though. Does it throw errors or is something weird happening on the pages?

On the Indexing of pages. TBH I'm fearful of sending Tier 1 links to Indexing let along Money sites at least on projects I want around for a long time. I guess it depends on the indexing service but I assume they all use some pretty aggressive tactics with links to get a page indexed. Maybe I am completely off base with that assumption. 

To me, if I am doing everything right, then throwing indexing at Tier 2A or 2B should cause a waterfall effect and each of the lower tiers and money site should get indexed just fine. If that is not happening, then something upstream is going wrong. Or maybe the site has a penalty. Hell, I've got 11K worth of very thin content (like 10 words + title per page thin) indexed on a brand new site with only indexed tier 1 link so far.
  • @mike when you talk about products are you talking ecommerce?

If so, are you using manufacturer content or your own?
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited December 2013
    Finally a topic I can be of use in. I have had no end of problems with Google indexing my subpages. The main culprit I've found is that the content is too similar to the other pages. Try adding a link to an ever-changing RSS feed or something like that, or embed relevent YouTube videos automatically via keyword. Or as @ron suggested you can create a video sitemap - I just add all my pages to this, even though without videos - that works to an extent. Also the Yoast issue I have is with the .XLST file or whatever it is. I disabled that part.
  • If your content isn't unique, or it's thin (less than 300 words) google may not Index it.
  • @daybel -  I'm using manufacture content - yes, the content is bad on the inner pages, but I can't figure out how site one got most of the inner pages indexed, while two other sites built the same way, with the similar type of junky inner page content, can't get the inner pages indexed.

I think I am going to try what @ron and @spunko2010 have suggested. if that doesn't work then I'll run them through an indexer-- will report back when I see results. Thanks to all.