Skip to content

Memory Leak I Think. SER not flushing Memory.

Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
I'm still using SER VER 7.05 and yesterday I noticed a memory leak. Kind of knew about this for a little while but was not really sure untill I did some testing to re-create this.

Here is what I do to make this happen.

I have 2 sorting projects in SER, I right click the project > Show URL's > Show Left Target.

This opens up a window showing me all the sites that SER still has to go through. In this list I can at times have a couple million URL's, so naturally memory usage will go up when SER is opening this window. Now the problem is, when I click the "X" button to close this window, SER does not release this used memory back to system resources. If I do the same thing on my second project, SER is showing 1G memory usage.

The only way for me to get this memory usage back down to normal, is to view the left target URL's on a project that I know would be empty, or has very little URL's  for that list.

I woke up this morning to SER showing me an out of memory error box and asking me to stop projects. I always click no and them the memory usage that SER displays goes down.

There must be a process while SER is submitting that is maybe opening this list to get more targets and is not flushing the memory when closing that list. I think this may be the problem many people are having when they receive this out of memory error, even when running one project.

Hope this is understandable. @Sven, if you need more information about this, please post here of even PM me.

If others are reading this and you have, or are receiving this memory error, please post how big your "Left Target URL's" list is.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Well yes, the memory is not freed when you close the dialog, just when you open it again or close the program. I will change this, but should not do much.
  • Trevor_BanduraTrevor_Bandura 267,647 NEW GSA SER Verified List
    It might fix some of the out of memory messages. Thought it would be worthy to post about this. Thanks for taking a look at it.
  • @sven i also noticed that after last update i saw some memory leak issue, i had about 1.4gb used in applications, and in performance tab i had over 5gb used, this after about 6 hours of usage, now im trying previous version to see if i have similar problems.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    sorry, did some mem leak profiling the last hour...no mem leaks at all by all kinds of operations performed. Maybe you use SER in a different way than I but I can't see where mem leaks should appear.
  • edited December 2013
    3 projects runing at 10 threads and after ~ 12h hapened this.