Skip to content

Help me understand keywords

Newb question here. Help me understand the "Keywords" part of a project. I read somewhere on BHW forums that some guy said his KW list in GSA was 500K. I'm like wtf, I only stuck like 10 in there. 

So what does the Keyword form field drive in the system that having that many keywords would help?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

Have a look at the engine selection. The dark green colored engines use a keyword for every query when searching for target URLs, light green colored engines use it in some cases, others use it not at all.

So in case you don't use the option to always use keywords for queries, it is only important for dark green colored engines.

• edited November 2013
    I used to use 10 or so keywords, then I changed it up to 500k (as it's around 10MB in a txt file which is SER's limit before you get an error message). I was getting 20lpm or so, now I'm getting 50lpm of PR3+ links. I use virtually no filters on T2/T3 links so that's probably where the increase is seen really, with the same 500k keywords.

Yes, the majority of the keywords aren't related to my niche but in reality, white hat sites get links from all over. Forums about cars linking to engineering companies (someone might give someone else advice), blog comments on a food site might help link to something like children's toys etc etc. TBH I don't care where I get links from as long as they are high PR and good, and give results in my sites' SERPs.

Plus, SER will run out of targets after a while. If you have 500k keywords then it will never run out of targets and randomising your SEO efforts is a good thing in my opinion.
  • Thanks, really good info. 

If I had a project running and it has seemed to have stalled due to lack of new sites, can I just edit the project, toss in a few hundred thousand in there and restart? Will the system go back through and do all the searching again for all platforms? 

Or once it has started do I need to start a whole other project to make sure the project hits all the KWs for all the platforms?
  • Just throw the new keywords in and make sure it doesn't use those keywords as the anchor text.

SER will figure it out :)