Skip to content

Is this ISP problem because of GSA SER ?

edited November 2013 in Need Help
Recently I have been running GSA SER on my home network without any proxies or anything, I have just been posting to verified lists of mine.

So about 2 months ago or so we got a message from Comcast about wanting to talk about internet issues they were seeing (they never said specifics), did not end up talking to them. So then randomly one night couple weeks later the internet goes out, the next day we call up and find out they cut it off because they were seeing usual activity so they did that as a safeguard or whatever. After calling them they easily reactivated it for us, and that was that. Then 2 weeks later we get another call from their security section again talking about seeing unusual activity and to call them, so I did.

obviously I was pretty sure this was because of GSA SER, but I wanted to be sure. So I actually told the guy what they might be seeing might be from software I'm using, and he was like "no no I don't think what were seeing is from that". He said something along the lines of "it appears one of your computers has some kind of virus or malware on it and it's going out and attacking firewalls". I was thinking lol ok. So he said to run full scans on all the PCs and I should be good.

A couple weeks go by and all is good, then I get another call again today saying the same stuff. That there is some virus on one of the PCs and that I should run scans on all our PCs. I'm not even sure what kind of bandwidth I have been using from GSA, have not been keeping track. But none of the guys have even commented on my bandwidth usage, so I'm guessing that is not an issue.

Anyways I would like to avoid any ISP problems so how should I best solve this? Should I just get a VPS setup, or could I use a VPN for now? Like in the past I tested the free ProXPN service and it actually seemed to work pretty good but a bit slow. Would something like that keep Comcast from contacting us anymore ?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Could it be that you use the proxy scanner? It might test a lot IPs and that might seen as a portscan and lead to this false positive virus detection.
  • Dude, buy some private proxies! Running on a VPS gives your ISP and your computer a break. It's a cheap way to awesome results and no pestering from ISPs.
  • edited November 2013
    I have not been scanning for proxies in GSA, I'm just using the software straight up right now for these postings.

So should I get proxies or VPS ? Also what about the VPN I mentioned would that keep the ISP off me ?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

Well would be interesting to know why they think it's a virus though. All that this software does is searching + posting according to your settings.

Sorry I can't really help but yes, maybe proxies is the best option for you. A VPS might help as well but might be more expensive. No VPN, thats usually not that suitable.

• that most recent call that I talked with them, they said something about they have got a couple reports from other people about our internet doing something, again they were not very specific, I don't know this security guy even knew exactly what he was talking about. He just said something about it's probably a virus or something and to use the malwarebytes software :/
  • Ask to speak to someone that knows what they are talking about as it's a service you're paying for and cutting you off without a reasonable explanation isn't cool.

In the meantime, get some proxies.
  • edited November 2013
    Well these two guys I have personally talked to are the guys who supposedly know what their talking about, they were in the customer security assurance section or whatever the name is they go buy in Comcast.

Can anyone recommend a good spot to get some proxies at currently for GSA? Also the research I did people said to use 10 proxies per 100 threads you run is that about right ? I'm usually running 30-85 threads for projects.
  • edited November 2013
    I meant that the person you spoke to wasn't giving you specifics so that's why I said ask someone that knows what they are talking about :) Give your computer a once over anyway with malware, adware checkers (lots online to choose from), then run ComboFix AFTER those first checkers. ComboFix is pretty amazing, it's got me out of some tight spots with potentially dangerous viruses in the past. I run it every 2-3 months.

I use proxyhub but https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/6678/introducing-proxyspring#latest is doing price matches and is on this forum. I have 30 proxies, running 275 threads, so yeah the 10p/100threads makes sense.

• edited November 2013
    I just purchased 10 proxies monthly from proxyhub.

Yesterday I ran malwarebytes and that ComboFix software you mentioned on my main PC, still have a lot of other computers to do this on lol. 
  • ok so after using proxies from proxy hub i had no more calls from Comcast for 3 months. Then randomly today I get another one of these calls, but i have still been using proxies, so is this related to GSA? Is there some other way they can get alerts to my location while using GSA with proxies, or is there something I'm doing wrong ? 
  • ronron SERLists.com

Just because you use proxies doesn't mean they can't measure the bandwidth you use with your account. You use proxies to avoid complaints against the IP that Comcast assigned you. That is what you are protecting against - complaints against you.

It sounds like they are concerned about the deviation in bandwidth usage. It sounds like you had a light usage pattern, and then suddenly with SER it spiked. They thought somebody tapped in to your line, more than likely.

I ran SER at home for 8 months only turning it off to reboot and clear cache every so often. So my usage was consistent 24/7 and I never heard a peep. They really don't care about you running software nonstop, so don't get paranoid and think you are doing anything wrong.

The great thing about Comcast (just an fyi) is that their business class is $100 and you can run 5 SER's on there - and you will never hear from them again. I was tempted with that offer many times, but I was tying up my pc, so I went to vps's. I also heard that they are going to jump from 100Mbps to 1 Gbps. So things are going to get a lot more powerful on their end.

• The same problem I had and have: my ISP blocked my internet immediately after I run SER (without proxies) the first time and said I have very dangerous malware named "regbot".

They let me to completely reinstall my PC.

But only bandwich was interesting for them.

Now they cannot claim anymore I have malware and because of this they simply reduce my bandwich (50 Mbps flat rate) nearly to zero!

• edited February 2014
    so @ron i really should not be concerned ? I knew they could see my bandwidth usage but i figured that really did not matter to them being they did not try to lock people at 250 GB anymore. 

How much does GSA SER really use bandwidth wise ? Is there some rule of thumb to guesstimate ? 

Here are my last 4 months of Comcast bandwidth usage, I actually have not checked this in like over a year.

November - 693 GB
    December - 540 GB
    January - 347 GB
    February (so far) - 377 GB

I should note that there are A LOT of people on my home network who use the internet a lot for a lot of stuff, so I'm curious about how much of this is mine, I'm sure most of it lol.

Like if they call me again and I talk to them is there anything specific I should tell them to maybe calm down and leave me alone ? 
  • edited February 2014
    Ok so I just got off the phone with Comcast (they called back because they never actually got to talk to me just left message). The lady says they have got reports from other servers/IPs/whatever that someone from my modem IP is trying to login into stuff lots basically. These people on the phone usually don't understand much they are just repeating what they have been told, so it's kind of hard to get exactly what she meant. I at one point said what you guys might be seeing is actually software we run here, she was like no no unless you have software that trys to log into/attack stuff over the internet, i didnt elaborate after that because I was fearful to say yes I use stuff like that lol. 

So I mean I guess this confirms that they were not contacting me again because of bandwidth right ? So how if I'm using proxies are these other people able to report my IP ? Or by some chance is one of the pcs at my house actually infected with malware like they think lol ? 

Any help guys !
  • are you sure your proxy settings are correct? If you use SER without proxies, Comcast will definitely get complaints about you spamming.
  • I'm pretty sure, what would be a commonly incorrect proxy setting ? 
  • ronron SERLists.com

I just got word from somebody I trust that Comcast has recently instituted a bandwidth constraint on residential accounts as of this past month. I heard it was 300 GB/mth, and they will shut you down, throttle you back, etc.

It never used to be like that ever. I would do some research on the internet about this. You may need to move to a VPS.

Normal usage for SER - when you are really running - goes into TB (terrabytes) per month, so I don't see you as having many options in your situation. Other than looking into Comcast commercial grade. At which point a VPS will likely be cheaper.

• edited February 2014
    hmm, well I seen when I was logged into my Comcast account to check the bandwidth it said right there they currently do not enforce the 250 GB month rule (paraphrasing). 

idk I guess I might have to finally just do a VPS, can you recommend a cheap one out there ?