Skip to content

RAM vs CPU

I'm trying to configure SER to optimally use my VPS. 

I can't get the RAM usage past 500mb for SER. Even at 300 or 350 threads (as per task bar at bottom, not just the setting!) 

BUT it seems CPU gets maxed out quickly. 

My question:
1) What processes in SER use RAM? 
2) I've read that you should get at least 3GB RAM for your VPS with a windows install, but even at 350 threads my VPS only sits at 1.3GB of RAM. 
So why get all this extra RAM if SER is not using it? 

Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

1) active project content, threads number

2) All depends heavily on the content you use in your projects. If you keep the content small by using macros (as you do), it might be no matter how many projects you run.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - thanks.

1) Is this referring to scheduler number of projects? I.e. if I have lots of unused RAM I shouldn't need the scheduler?
    2) What's the best way to use more RAM and get more results if I only have 1.1GB ram out of 3GB being used? I'm at 300 threads and have a scheduler set to rotate every 35 mins with 30 projects. Surely increasing threads isn't the best way?

1) indeed you don't need the schedule rthan.

2) Less is more...Just keep it that way. I wouldn't worry too much about maxing out memory usage.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - how much spare RAM should my VPS have? I.e. if its 3GB RAM and I only use 1.1 GB, can I downgrade to 2GB?
    yes you can