Skip to content

How to target a certain country?

I would like to know how I can rank my site/video on a certain country (for example, US) only and not worldwide. Any kind of help is appreciated.

Comments

• Some assistance will really be grateful.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    Do you mean you want your inbound links to be from a certain country only?

Or do you want Google to only show your site to people from a certain country?

If it's the 1st one, it's in Edit > Options page, at the bottom.
  • I want my site to rank on local Google search engine or local search engines instead of ranking on Google.com. For example, I would like to rank on Google.fr & Google.au
  • you can do that in Google webmaster tool.
  • Sorry, but I didn't understand what you tried to say? I am asking on how to rank a site on a local country oriented search engine through GSA.
  • MrXMrX Germany
    This is not really about GSA SER. If your site has local content like french, it will rank better on google.fr. Make sure you target some french sites for linkbuilding, use the country filter under options or scrape french targets using a 3rd party tool.
    There are already lots of threads around here describing what you have to do
    Go to GOogle Webmaster Tools > Site Settings and select country there.

If your domain is .fr for example it will automatically target France. Only need to change this if its not country specific TLD like .me, .com
  • My site is .com and I want to rank it in Australia & UK mainly. I have English content but I don't wanna rank on US.
    edited October 2013
    Hmm, 2 countries? I'd get a .co.uk and a .com.au domain, separate content on each.  You can go one step further and buy an IP in each country and direct it to each site, ie. UK IP to UK site. I do this, but a lot don't.
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    edited October 2013
    @sasuke24 - What sort of site is it? Affiliate?

What you can do is manipulate those search engines by your content. For example let's say it's a product. You can create 2 pages:

- Product name UK
    - Product name Australia

If not a product site do:

- Niche name UK
    - Niche name Australia

Write a short article for each, as if you writing an SEO article with keywords as above, then link to those 2 in the footer/menu whatever. Build links to those pages

In time, Google will associate your site with those countries and you will rank higher in those engines.

If you want to take it a step further add an Aussie and UK, phone number and/or address on the site too. You can fake it or not, that's your choice.
  • spunko2010

I am about to doing that experience. Having a .de domain, and also a German IP address.

Is it working with you? Did you make any experience, that proved that it makes a big diference?

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @gooner - you find any success by adding "Country Name" + Anchor to the link profile or is it only on page text?
    @ruimartinho German one I only just launched but it works for .co.uk for me.
  • I have just received the link below, in a email.

I also use top level country domains. I was about to try adding a country ip address, but right now, i am not so sure if it is a good idea ...

• Is it not possible to rank a particular site in these two countries? It's a niche site.
  • @spunko2010 Still not sure how do you buy those country IPs from separate place and apply them. Care to link me to it please? :)
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    In my experience IP doesn't really matter, i host all on US IP's but have local sites from numerous countries around the world. I have some client sites that have hosting in their particular country and my tests show that the US IP's can rank equally as well. But it can't hurt to use country specific IP's i guess.

@alexr - I don't really use that technique unless of course the client is targeting it as a keyword.
    ruimartinho your link doesnt work for me, and if it's advice on ranking given out by Google, do the opposite.

@Pratik I just ask my host, they have a list of all locations they are present in. If your server is shared it won't be possible.
  • @spunko2010 Who are you hosting with? And by that I assume you've a VPS.
    Yes, I use a VPS. I won't say here since Fatt Cutts reads and it's got me paranoid as they are a small company, but Rackspace are good I hear.
  • @spunko2010 I see. Mind PMing me then? I want to know only because of those multiple IPs that they can offer. Other hosts are PITA to request a new IP and now there's a rule that they need proper justification of new dedicated IP and it can be only used if you want to install as SSL certificate as that requires a dedicated one.

Thanks.