Skip to content

?????? Characters

Hello,
I tried to import some urls with Greek characters by copy paste and import but every letter with Greek character GSA SER add it like ??????????.
Can you please tell me how can I fix this ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Make sure the file is in correct unicode format.
  • I tried the following:

1. I make a txt file write the urls, convert to UTF8 and then import to GSA SER
    2.    '''            '''              '''                ''      ''  ANSI and then import to GSA SER
    3. Copy paste the urls to GSA SER

Nothing of the above working
  • Use the file macro
  • can you please give me some details or a url ?
  • check the macro guide!
  • Sorry but I can not understand how macro works  :(
    My English is not good. Does anyone knows another way to add Greek letters to GSA SER ?
    I can not name a project, anchor text, urls anything that contains Greek letters.
    Thank you 
  • may be you have to convert ALL SER data/text files to UTF8 to have full foreign language character support,
    but I have no idea how many files there are in total, where they are and what happens when SER is updated

Ibut  have same problems and may do this test one of the next days as soon as excess time available

• I already did what you suggest. I convert the files to UTF8 which contains Greek characters, but when import it to GSA SER the result is ???????.
  • I just tested to convert the .prj file for one of my multilingual projects to UTF8
    then however SER has ALL fields BLANK in the main EDIT > data

means SER is NOT made for international users publishing in foreign language with NON-ANSI text

since all your texts in greek as well,
    only a change of heart by @sven may offer a solution

else if you are still on free trial = you may wait until later when SER is UTF8 if ever

IMO
    the macro solution often mentioned just makes life more complicated and customer unfriendly

the world has about 95% native ANSI language character population
    and thus about 6,5 + BILLION NON-ANSI character language population

in an ANSI system it is simply IMPOSSIBLE to efficiently and professionally publish international languages!

@hans51 please stop this BS! The software can work with unicode.

Noone said you have to have files encoded in unicode to support unicode. Things in ini files are stored in ANSI but converted back to unicode when used in program. There are several reasons for this but I don't feel like explaining you why I did it that way.

@teo send me the data you try to add and I have a look if there is indeed something wrong.

• @sven
    .prj files contain article in ANSI
    = impossible to have international texts there !!!!!!!!!!
    end of topic (for me)
    see...you should stop thinking you are a coder...thats not impossible! Things can be encoded in ansi and back to unicode. Thats what I do all the time. Thats whats done on websites when you d a submission all the time according to the things you enter and how the website expects it.
  • Thank you very much @sven I will send the txt with urls soon to make a try.
  • @Sven pm sent you with urls and the anchors. 

Some of the anchors and urls appear correct but after the today update nothing with Greek letters appear correct and I have to stop all the projects.

Regards
  • @sven

just because you create a very fine SER does in no way mean you know it alll, you still young and decades to learn about high performance coding for web apps or system apps.

may be in microsoft world that is the way ppl do is, may be that's the reason why Msoft apps slow and crashy (SER crashes once or more per day, so does CB)

I had the luck to own my 3 high end servers severa years for my 1 web site until 2012
    installed, ocnfigured and maintained all SW

• multiple secrity systems, incl intrusion detection / prevention (snort, mode_security) and others, all clear language utf8, all config files and log files, all input / all output
    • all apache web server = utf8 clear language all config files, all log files. I had usually 1TB traffic per month, on peak days I had once 2+ TB a single day (a failed DDoS)
    • all mysql = all clear language human readable, human editable utf8 = every mysql db can be edited in a regular linux/unix editor and saved back, no conversion and reconversion, no encodng and decoding  online or offline all mysql db clean clear language!
    • all mail servers ( I ran 3 mail servers, 3 name servers to serve up to 50'000+ ecards per day on peak season days. alld p ecard texts saved and processed all the way utf8
    • lots of various logs and log writing from warn, messages, mail, access_log, error_log and many others, all are human readable, human editable live in any professional utf8 system editor such as vi (vim) on running system
    • as a general rule on Linux systems, all config or data files can be edited live on running system and reloaded because ALL in simple clear utf8 language (or as configured by server admin)
    • gallery2 all config files clear language, all texts same, all pics plain formats live editable on running system
    • and manymore

may be that only is done on Linux systems and in Msoft all encoded/decoded. may be there is a reason why universities, govs and many major companies opted years ago for -ix systems = security, stability, speed

there is a reason why in many years none of my last 3 servers ever reached near 50% of CPU
    even high performance IDS max 1-2 % CPU use during peak traffic 5%

the entire server system on peak high traffic days (80+k uv/d CPU never more than 25% usually 5-10%  CPU average on 8GB RAM
    never crashed system and never crashed or hanging app all the years
    never frozen

may be there are 2 totally different ways to achieve one and the same

one world encodes, decodes etc and thus consumes CPU resources
    another world doing as straight forward as possible

some 12 yrs ago = before common implementation of utf8 as defacto global standard we had some encoding too, some old fashioned outdated apps sometimes needed encoding for single exceptional characters - that was LONG time ago before ppl learned to speed up

SER a really fine app = most likely the world's best for submissions,
    but for sure by VERY FAR the single MOST resource hungry app I ever used my entire life

Your posts get longer and longer each time without much new to add. Sorry but the only person here that seems to know everything is you it seems.

Who tells you Im a young coder!? Who tells you Im only coding in windows world?

I am coding for over 20 years now. I started on AMIGA and go from assembler, php, c++ to pascal and several others. Im coding things on linux as well and SER is by far not the only product.

Please stop this blabla talking thinking you know me. You don't know anything about me. Keep things to the product/thread.

This thread was about wrong encoding issues which Im happy to fix. I am not going to talk about how things can be coded with you especially as your "ANSII can not be converted to unicode" sentence disqualificated you on the whole conversation.