Skip to content

Category Setup

In some engines, the Category is required and I want to pick your brains on common usage.

With the Category, we can specify masks to help in matching. But after thinking about this for a bit, it would seem that to play it safe and increase the likelihood for success, one should lean toward specifying very general category names and list them from specific categories to more general categories in a one level deep format.

Creating hierarchical levels will result in less likelihood of a match because they are more specific. You are never going to know exactly what category tree a website has setup to use. This is left to the site administrator to specify and they don't have to go with the software's default.

So I would think it is better to setup something like this using masks, in this order (specific to general):

*iPad*
*Tablets*
*Computers*
*Technology*

Rather than try to use specific hierarchical categories:

*Computers*/*Tablets*/*iPad*
*Computers*/*Tablets*
*Computers*/*iPad*
*Computers*
*Technology*/*Tablets*/*iPad*
*Technology*/*Tablets*
*Technology*/*iPad*
*Technology*

Note that your category trees can get very complex and further make it difficult to get a match with the website. In the example above, you have to create multiple combinations to cover both the Computers and Technology categories. This can get very messy and difficult to manage.

The more specific you get, the less likelihood that you will get a match. As long as you get a match, that is ok.

So in my view creating hierarchical category trees leaves for less matching success. It is better to list one level deep from specific category to general category.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• edited August 2013
    i dont know, my category looks like

root
    ->*a*
    ->*e*

What i wanna say is, dont major in minor things. it really doesnt matter and you won't get many matches, even if you try hard.

If you still want: In your case i'd go for *technolog* (to get technology, technologics, etc. u get the point), and dont worry too much about the rest. remember, time is money ;)

Regards
  • Startrip  But how can i do the software to choice random categories ?