Skip to content

Confused on WHERE to post (engines/urls)

I bought GSA about 2 weeks ago just trying to learn everything before I even touch it. I read the Compiled List page, watched some videos but do not think I saw enough videos (I am a visual learner).
I am confused about where to post links to. What I mean is, just letting GSA use the search engines, or something about going to advanced options, finding URLS to post to and put your keyword in there, and then ONLY posting to those URLS.

It seems to me that this list would be more targetted (does that matter?) but you would get a really small amount of links, compared to just letting the software search it for you (without keywords).
But then it seems like you are posting your links on just generic sites.

I am unclear on this and its a big part before starting!
Thanks

Comments

• s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    The advanced options are used to build your own lists. I wouldn't say they are going to necessarily be more targeted unless you're using some custom footprints. It sounds like you're kinda new to all of this so I don't think that is the case?

You should be fine loading your URL's into the main project area and having it scrape targets from the search engines automatically. This is what the majority of users do and it works fine.

You can also use tools like Scrapebox or Gscraper to scrape URL's and import them into your projects.
  • Thanks for reply.
    Yes, I think I was referring to custom footprints, like putting in weight loss and getting links related to that. But then I feel you would have a lot less links, albeit more targeted.

"loading your URLs into main project" What do you mean there? I couldn't tell if you are referring to the URLs I am sending links to (money site) or URLS to post on.

Cheers
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    1) By custom footprints I'm referring to ones you come up with yourself that aren't widely used in the software and then combining keywords with them. This is more advanced and isn't necessary for the majority of users.

2) I mean the main project data section where you click the edit button and load in your website URL's you want the software to build links to. That should work just fine. The main thing you should learn is how to tweak the settings to get the type of links you want. Configure your proxies, search engines and learn what all the settings and filters mean.
  • OK, I remember what I was trying to ask before.
    So, I guess I am confused by the process in which GSA posts links, link when you create a project, and you type in keywords related to your topic (let's say weight loss). When GSA is looking for places to post, is it looking for places with general footprints, or using your keywords.. The reason I ask is after they post, and verify those links and put them in the global list,

wouldnt your future projects start posting to links about "weight loss"? that part confuses me.

thanks
  • ^ Still looking for an answer to that last part
  • goonergooner SERLists.com
    About the global lists?

All projects save into the global lists if you select that option and if you choose a project to use the global lists to post links then it will do that.

But you can choose not to do that if you prefer, is that what you mean?
  • edited September 2013
    Well what I am asking is,
    lets say you have a project and it is on pets, and you create a lot of links, and it saves a bunch of links to global list.

then you have a campaign for weight loss. and it posts links to the verified in global. What are those links in global, are those links specific to pets? Or are they generic sites like article sites, blog sites etc that are not niche specific.

So, when it goes out to find links to post to on your pets campaign, isnt it using those keywords to find places to post to? So would your second campaign have unrelated links?

(is that clearer?)
    edited September 2013
    I see...

All links go into global, it doesn't categorize or even recognize where they are from, they are just global links (as far as i know).

If you want to have keyword specific links only, then best you don't use global lists to post to.

But, some engines are not keyword specific and if you are looking for quality niche links then SER is not really the best tool for that. It's best for mass link building imo.
  • I was hoping for the opposite. I am trying to make sure that they ARENT niche specific, and I am confused on if they are or not, when saved to the global list.

I am hoping thatI WONT get "pets" related links when later doing the "weight loss" campaign.
    I am hoping the global list is full of generic places to link and NOT niche specific.
    I just don't understand what happens when you hit start what GSA does when finding links (if niche specific or not)

maybe a mod/creator can post here (dunno if @ozz is one?)
    edited September 2013
    Ok, let's start again.

When you hit start SER uses your keyword in combination with the in-built engine footprints to find sites.

Some searches will use your keywords (based on which engine it searches for), some will not use your keywords.

All links, no matter how they were found, are stored in global site lists.

So, if you don't want to mix "weight loss" with "pets" as you said, don't use global sites lists.