Skip to content

Blasted site, great results, honed campaign and now dropping in the SERPs

edited July 2013 in Need Help
Hi. I did a search about this but as it's a fairly complex subject, didn't come up with anything. Forgive me if it's been covered.

I started out with a campaign in GSA with the help of a friend who uses it. He's gotten great results so I thought I would give it a shot. He set up the campaign for me to boost a newer money site that I put on a domain that was 2+ years old to show me hos he did things. This was 1.5 months ago and I was seeing great results. Page 2-3 for the terms I was targeting already with higher SERPs and more traffic every day. During that month I did a ton of reading and research and realized that how things were set up was not optimal, so I made some changes. At first it was a 3 tier setup where I was basically throwing the kitchen sink at everything. I decided to change it to a higher quality campaign, and one that is more or less how Ron points out how to structure it here. I also optimized my settings so I was getting around 20-30lpm, as compared to the 2-3 lpm I was getting before, so I was submitting to far fewer sites, but submitting more overall.

Now I have noticed that my site is dropping fairly dramatically in the SERPs. Peaked at ~700 SE hits a day and now at about half that in the last 4 days. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my change and suspect it may not due to the fact that I just made these changes in the last week.

My questions are:
1) Could reduced link velocity cause something like this to happen this quickly? If so, is it better to go back to how I was doing things before?
2) In general, should I keep from making major changes to a campaign that seems to be working?

Thanks!

Comments

• Could be a whole host of reasons why it's dropping. Could be link velocity, could be because you spammed it, could be something else.

How many links were you putting to it before you changed the settings?
  • Tier 1 has 1410 verified since 6/30.
    Tier 2 has 3218 verified since 6/30.
    Tier 3 has 4220 verified since 6/30.

Up until the 16th of July I was putting only 5-20 verified links through on T1. This was mainly due to my low lpm. I made some changes and since 7/17 was putting 50-80 verified through until the change I made a few days ago where it has gone back down to 7-20. The upper tiers are somewhat similar but do look more even. 50-100 verified daily on T2 and anywhere from 50-160 on T3.

Let me be more clear about what I did. I added cleaner T1, T2, T3 flowing to the money site and changed the kitchen sink Tiers to be T1A, T2A, T3A.

BTW, I'm going for terms that are fairly hard to rank for with a lot of competition. 17-30Mil results for the top terms.
  • I guess a more direct question would be: Is there any way to make a quality campaign out of one that's been running for a month as a pretty spammy, kitchen sink campaign? Can I pull this back from the fire or should I just concentrate on new campaigns? I've got no emotional ties here and kind of started out with this as a churn and burn deal and have since changed my mind on what I want from it.
  • if something is working why you change it?... there could be so many factors why your ranks drops..... i recommend you to set your project as your friend did and let it run and forget, and try new campaings.