Skip to content

Question anchor text

What's the best ratios of generic anchor text, domain anchor text and partial/secondary match anchor text for Tier 1 and is it different for Tier 2 and 3?

Comments

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited July 2013

There isn't a correct answer. But the first thing I would worry about is the primary keyword(s), which I keep around 5%. Be careful not to have too many partial matches which incorporate the entire primary keyword. So no more than 10% let's say on partials. Then maybe 25% on secondary keywords which are completely different than the main keywords. Then maybe 20% on branding (which doesn't have the full main keyword), 30% on naked URL, and 10% on generic. That's off the top of my head, but that's a rough idea. I just clone lower tiers off the main T1.

• thanks ron appreciate the reply, this gives me a better idea of where i should be heading
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron - what do you do when your branding anchor is 90% the same as the primary keyword? 
  • ronron SERLists.com
    edited July 2013

You can make your branding anchor whatever you want it to be. Don't delude yourself into thinking it is the words in the domain name.

You have to be extremely careful not to over optimize. So invent a combination of words that may have one important word that represents the niche well, and all other words are just great branding words (not search words).

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron. Thanks. I realise you can choose a different one to the words in the domain name. What are the signals you can use to say "hey, this is my brandname" rather than a keyword/anchor. I.e. how does Google know it's brandname and not just a popular LSI or Partial match keyword?
  • edited July 2013
    I have exactly same question (as AlexR). This branding things make me completely confused.
  • ronron SERLists.com

This is just my opinion because it is all theory anyway: having a brand name as a significant % of all anchors and links is something you would expect a real business to have. Not because they do it, but because consumers are aware of the brand - so they link using that.

So forget keywords for a minute. I could be in the market for golf shirts, and my brand could be Tee To Green Sportswear. It doesn't have to have golf in it. And it doesn't even have to have shirt in it. Yet it makes sense at all levels.

So just use your head, and quit thinking of everything in terms of EMD like you have been trained to think. And for that matter, EMD's are probably more of a headache than a help because it is so easy to over-optimize because of the URL. So get smarter.  

• Thank you so much ron for sharing your experience with us.

but still i am confused with secondary anchor text. you said this anchor text should be different from main anchor text. how much different?
    suppose here is my main anchor text..

racing games

so my secondary anchor text should not contain any word of my main anchor text like either "racing" or "games" right? and we should use same niche words or any random words from any niche i can use.
    my main concern is if i use 25% different niche words then it will not affect in ranking?