Skip to content

Does Anyone Care About Yahoo or Bing?

SER users. We all are focused on G in terms of tracking SER results. I have found that I rank significantly higher against my competition in both Yahoo and Bing. I am not sure why

The question is does anyone focus on Yahoo or Bing with SER to dominate in those serps? If so, is it worth it? Or have we just all allowed G to rule our worlds?

Thanks

Comments

• I dont think most people care about Yahoo/Bing, until their site tanks and they start getting yahoo/bing traffic instead of google traffic
  • I agree with you. But isn't it weird that we all ignore 25% of the search market? 
  • I used to do, but I have one adsense based site with only 4 posts that got tanked in the 1st Google Penguin, but still ranks well on both Yahoo and Bing and brings in £300-£500 each month. 

2 and a bit years on and now Google is beginning to "sniff" around and I've started to see some re-inclusion on Google's SERPS
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    How do you focus your marketing towards a specific search engine? They have the same guidelines (which are mostly B/S anyway). I figure that if I rank well in Google then I rank well in Bing and vice versa...
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Bing/Yahoo is my Google graveyard. When sites tank on Google, they still get traffic from Bing/Yahoo. And I still make $1k-2k per month from them. So if a site still gets traffic, keep it. Don't throw away the money. Just create new sites for Google. Just view the Bing/Yahoo traffic as the frosting on the cake. You don't need to optimize for it. But they do like 'older' sites. So it is a perfect retirement home for the sites that eventually tank in Google. 
  • What strategy did you guys use for ranking in bing/yahoo?

@ron "older" as in first indexed or first registered?

• Same as for any other SE. 

No matter what you read, links are the still the main indicator. 
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Older means months and months. It just happens with time. Ranking in Bing/Yahoo always comes after ranking in Google. Whatever strategy you use to rank in G will eventually get you there in B/Y.
  • edited July 2013
    Wierd, but I've always noticed traffic from Bing/Yahoo converts better.  Conversion rates from them are like high 20%'s.  Conversion rates from Google are always around 5-10%

Guess that could say something about the people that use Bing/Yahoo over google?
  • @Hunar, that's no mystery. Bing and Yahoo are default choices with some browsers. And the majority of people that use them aren't internet-savvy types. They're more influenced by ads, because ads on the web is something new for them.
  • I have been curious about ranking in Bing as of late, so the general rule of thumb is if you are ranking on page 1 on Google currently then eventually the page will rank high on Bing ? But it might take several months ? 

• Yahoo and Bing seem to rely on link age more heavily than Google.  They do have a sizeable amount of traffic.
  • No, Bing / Yahoo (same engine) uses a different algo than G, and it is typically a little behind G. Here is a really simple guide to getting top rank in Bing:

1. Go to Godaddy Auctions or similar site and buy an aged domain. Bing absolutely hates brand new sites, and pretty much bases age on WHOIS domain age.
    2. Try to get as close to exact match as you can on that domain name. Bing still has the hots for EMD, while Google has moved away from that.
    3. Blast a lot of links at the main page of the site. Stuff you typically would call T2 for G usually is good for Bing.
    4. Profit.

Sometimes I have purposefully targeted Bing for keywords I could never rank for on G and made page 1 on Bing / Yahoo. There is money to be made doing this.