Skip to content

Tier 1 question

I have a tier project in which I built 10 manual web2.0s outside of GSA as my first tier, I'm aiming to rank 3 different low comp keywords btw. Is it best for me to just build a lower amount of tier 1s like I got so far or should I also run GSA for article, social network, web2.0, and wiki ? And if I do run GSA for tier 1 should I even filter for anything ? 

Also as of this moment the only backlinks I have pointing at my money site are the tier 1 web2.0s I have made already, is that the best way to do it, or should I also blast some other links straight to my money site, along with the usual tier stuff? 
Tagged:

Comments

• The Second. You want link diversity, and just 10 web 2.0s won't do.

Most people here dont use filters (me neither), since in natural linkbuilding there are no filters too ;)

Filters only make sense for one reason: High-PR pages won't get deleted so fast. 

• ronron SERLists.com
    edited May 2013

I would set-up those 10 web 2.0's in one project, with the appropriate anchors, and build out tiers. Think of this project as your T1. I would have a T1A coming at it from the side as discussed at: https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/2930/ser-tiers/p1 Since these are web 2.0s they can handle some abuse quite well. So build your T1A, T2, T2A, T3 and T3A all simultaneously. Just let it rip.

Separately, you want to build a trickle of article, social network, web2.0, and wiki directly to the moneysite. You can always ramp this up in a slow and steady fashion over time. Assuming the moneysite if relatively new, I might start this new additional T1 at 5 links per day. In a couple of weeks, boost it to 10. In a couple more weeks go to 15, etc. You will want to build out tiers over the coming weeks for these new links. For these I would add a layer (T1A for example) in week 2. Week 3 add a T2. Week 4 add a T2A. Week 5 add a T3, etc. You build up momentum, not your entire wad right at the beginning. Make each of these lower tiers at 10X URL aimed at the one above it. You always have the option down the road to increase these to 20X URL depending on how your rankings move. You can follow these same parameters for your main T1 with all the hand-built web2.0's as well.

That's a pretty darn safe way to do it. Don't worry about the filters, I never do. You may want to get a small trickle of bookmarks going to the moneysite simultaneously, and maybe a high PR blog low trickle project as well.

This is essentially the plan outlined in the link I gave you above, but with some numbers attached. You won't blow out the site, you should see steady progress in rankings, and you always have the option of turning up the juice in lower tiers as you see fit over time.

• I found your thread ron that you linked above a little while back, so far I have followed your diagram pretty much perfectly (I'm starting tier 3 now), aside from initially I manually made web2.0s outside of GSA for my base tier 1, but everything else follows that. 

How long should it take for me to start seeing results from a tier building project following your diagram ? A few months back I did a mini tier project for low comp keywords, not nearly as extensive as this and it took about an entire month before my keywords even got in the first few pages of Google, and then another 2 weeks or so to finally get on page 1 high. 

• ronron SERLists.com

I think you already have a good feel. I'm in really competitive keywords, so for me it usually takes a minimum of 2 months, maybe 3. But I am notorious about sneaking up on the big G instead of banging my fist on the table.

It really varies though as I have seen nice keywords come fast, and easy keywords come slow. It is unpredictable and can leave you scratching your head. So just be patient and work on other stuff. Don't babysit, don't overanalyze, and don't get impatient and start blasting away in a stupid manner. Always turn up the volume from the bottom and work your way up.

• @ron - How many "chains" do you normally start off with? You could have a larger tier 1 with many different tier 1 properties, or you could have multiple chains with less tier 1 properties. For example, I could have 10 tier 1 properties in 1 chain, and 50 in another. How do you normally decide how to build from the ground up quantitatively? 
  • ronron SERLists.com
    One chain tier and it just keeps growing across. In the example above he built something outside of the system so he kept it as a separate project. It could have been included in the master T1, but URL's run the risk of accidentally being deleted on re-verification. Hence, making at a second T1. I only make one T1 and it grows bigger over time like everybody else's.
  • @ron, thanks I understand now. 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron - are there any Articles or Social Network Articles or Wikis that you avoid posting to your moneysite (assuming their PR is above 3) ?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    That's all I use. I just avoid inefficient platforms that don't yield a lot of verified.
  • After reading around it seems best for me to get a lot more tier 1 properties, so I started adding on to my tier 1 now with GSA :)
  • ronron SERLists.com

People sometimes confuse this. The tiers give you link juice, and you want that from the tiers, which comes from underneath. That is just one consideration.

A more important consideration is that a strong site has a continuous growth of new links. Otherwise, the diagnosis is that your site is dead and/or unimportant. 

• It can be hard not to babysit when I do extensive SEO for a site. Like this site is only 2 weeks old, but the 3 keywords I'm aiming for are not ranking at all like they are no where to be found, but the site has been indexed since day 1 or 2, and these are low competition keywords. Should I not worry just yet? 
  • ronron SERLists.com

You would think that lower volume or lower competition keywords would be easier to bang up the serps. But I have not found that to be consistently true. Always manage your expectations for a longer timeframe.

You can't babysit. You plant the seed, and water it with SER. Quit staring at it. Work on other stuff. I don't watch paint dry and neither should you. You have better things to do.

Only a percentage of sites succeed, so don't waste your time. It either works or it doesn't. Build other sites and stay busy.

• Thanks @Ron for sharing your precious experience with us. Once you said that only 50-60% of your sites ranks, no matter what you do and how many backlinks you create. How long do you try to rank a site till you decide that it has no chance? Or do you keep it in GSA SER forever (i doubt it)?

thx
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Maybe 4 months and then I give it a proper burial. It's more like 30% - 40%.
  • @ron I'm suprised your rates are that low.  I just assumed, you walked on water and could rank whatever you wanted ;)  Any theories on why the non-ranking sites fail?  content? too much competition? 
  • Does it matter why they fail?

Think of it like a farmer. You plant seeds, but not all seeds grow. Do you put time an effort into wondering why those seeds don't grow or do you just plant more seeds?

Plant. Water. Cull. Rinse. Repeat.

It's a system. Just work it.
  • @meatplow . . . my thinking was, it still takes me time to setup those sites that fail.  Time spent but no money earned.   If I can improve my success rate, that means more money + less time working + more time for my extra circular vices ;)
  • ronron SERLists.com

I think with a lot of my tests I don't build out a lot of sites like I should. If I put more effort into creating for example a nice 10 page site, it might rank better than a 3 page site or a 1 page site.

I try to get up in the rankings first with minimal effort, and if it starts to hit 50 or better, I start to invest time. I'm sure I could get that % higher, but I am just a one man wonder hah!

• @ron that brings up a good point, testing to see if a site is worth investing time in. What do you mean by "minimal effort" exactly ? 

Like Is it a good idea to just blast some links straight to a site, to see if it can rank easy?