Skip to content

Move GSA SER With All Current Projects to a Different Computer?

Is there any way I can move GSA SER from my existing desktop to a different one keeping all my existing projects intact?

I'm asking because I'm experiencing some problems on my existing computer and need to get a new one.

Thanks

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Yes, you can. I have not done it, but I think these are the steps you would need to do. Someone correct me if I left something out.

1.) Select all the projects you want to move (from your project list in SER). Then right click on them, and back them up.
    2.) You probably will want to backup your main SER Options too. This is at the bottom left of the "Options" settings box on SER.
    3.) If you are keeping Global Site Lists, back those up.
    4.) Install SER on the new PC (and activate).
    5.) Restore your SER Options (from SER Options menu)
    6.) Restore your projects (from SER)
    7.) Restore your Global Site Lists.

Optionally, you could do this process without the SER backup options by using some other method to backup/restore things (like PKZip, or just copying files to a large portable drive, etc).

1.) Backup the folder that SER is installed in.
        (Probably something like...C:\Program Files (x86)\GSA Search Engine Ranker\
    2.) Backup the folder that your projects are installed in.
        (Probably something like...C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\GSA Search Engine Ranker\)
    3.) Backup the folder your Global Site Lists are in.
    4.) Install SER on the new PC (just to make sure the Windows registry entries, program icons, etc get created).
    5.) Restore the backup of the SER install folder over top of the SER install you just did. (This will restore all your main SER Options.)
    6.) Restore your project files (copy them to the same folder on the new PC).
    7.) Restore your Global Site Lists (copy them to the same folder on the new PC).

When you first run SER on the new PC, I would check to make sure your main Options look right first, then start up one or two projects to make sure things run ok. Then make sure that your Global Site Lists are getting updated correctly.