Skip to content

Groups of Project Data Sets

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
edited July 26 in Need Help
Hi, everyone still here! :)
Wondering: Is there a way to set multiple fields to work together?
As in, having Address, City, Zip, State, Country all work in tandem?
I know there is a way to do it with an external file. (I've never explored this; too complex for this task I have in mind!, anyway!)

I was wondering if it can be done more simply.
Hoping for some macro that makes SER work like:

State
#group1-set3[{NY|NJ|CT}]
Address
#group1-set3[{15 W. 35 St.|10 Maple Way.|145145 Grove Rd.}]
Zip
#group1-set3{10001|07031|05643}]

and have SER coordinate each field so the first in each group set macro is chosen, or second, or third, ..
without an external file.
Or something. :|

And..then we can also have group 2, group 3...etc to have sets of coordinating spintax choices.
Set 3 indicates three items to iterate thru, tho I guess SER can determine that based on the first group/set encountered. So then, as I have it above, the second, third setX is redundant.

Yes; this is what I think about when I'm back at Sven's board. :|

Comments

• royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    edited July 27
    Yes, you can coordinate multiple fields in GSA Search Engine Ranker to work together using spintax macros. While it's typically done with external files, you can achieve a simpler approach using internal macros. Here's a way to do it:

1. Define Groups with Macros: Use the `#file` or `#filelist` macros for better coordination without external files, but within SER's capabilities.
    2. Use Grouped Spintax: You can create grouped spintax directly in the fields. Each group can be a set of coordinated data points.
    3. Spintax Example: You can create a spintax for each field and ensure they are coordinated. Here’s how you can define and use spintax to achieve the coordinated fields:

===============================
    {#group1-address1{15 W. 35 St.}|#group1-address2{10 Maple Way.}|#group1-address3{145 Grove Rd.}}
    {#group1-city1{New York}|#group1-city2{Nutley}|#group1-city3{Middletown}}
    {#group1-zip1{10001}|#group1-zip2{07110}|#group1-zip3{10940}}
    {#group1-state1{NY}|#group1-state2{NJ}|#group1-state3{NY}}
    {#group1-country1{USA}|#group1-country2{USA}|#group1-country3{USA}}

4. Coordinated Fields: Now, to ensure the fields work in tandem, you’ll have to manually ensure that the spintax is synchronized across fields. Here’s how you can implement it in the actual SER form fields:

Address: {15 W. 35 St.|10 Maple Way.|145 Grove Rd.}
    City: {New York|Nutley|Middletown}
    Zip: {10001|07110|10940}
    State: {NY|NJ|NY}

5. Using Spintax Grouping: Although the above approach works, it might not directly ensure that the first in each set is chosen together without an external file or a more complex macro. SER does not natively support such an interdependent selection mechanism without some form of scripting or external handling.
    6. Simpler Macro Handling: If you prefer a simpler approach within SER, you can use the `#spinfolder` or `#spinfile` macros. This will involve a bit of setup but is more straightforward than an external complex script:

================
    #file-SpinGroup1.txt content:
    {15 W. 35 St.|10 Maple Way.|145 Grove Rd.}
    {New York|Nutley|Middletown}
    {10001|07110|10940}
    {NY|NJ|NY}
    {USA|USA|USA}

================
    In SER fields:
    Address: #spinfile-SpinGroup1.txt
    City: #spinfile-SpinGroup1.txt
    Zip: #spinfile-SpinGroup1.txt
    State: #spinfile-SpinGroup1.txt

Using `#spinfile` or `#spinfolder` ensures that the same indexed line from the file is used across all fields, maintaining coordination.

While SER does not have a built-in way to dynamically and seamlessly handle such interdependent spintax within the UI without external files or scripting, the above methods can help you manage your task with minimal external complexity.