Skip to content

Must have domain filter !.gov should give .gov domains

edited June 21 in Other / Off Topic
i created must have domain filter in options to get .gov links. WHat is see in messages when project is running that !.gov is matching with non .gov urls.

I used create domain filter button in options and than selected must have filter in what type of filter do you want dialogue box.

this gave me !.gov with checkbox , checked.. 

This should match domains with .gov extension as i created must have domain filter and in 2-3 days only 1 single domain has come up from my list of  11 million .

same is with any other domain filter that i have created, very little or no domains at all in 2-3 days.

Logically !.gov should match as it is showing but problem is skipping those is not resulting in .gov domains or any other filter that i am creating with domain filter for tld. Giving little to no domains.

Comments

• cherubcherub SERnuke.com
    So you are wanting .gov domains only, but giving SER a list of 11 million domains. Why not just use grep or something similar to extract the .gov domains from that 11 million list and just feed those to SER instead, as the way you're currently going about things is a massive time waste.

Also, if the urls you are giving are just domains, then it's doubtful you will find any .gov that matches engines. Targets that will be submittable to on .gov domains are usually buried in sub pages of blogs or forgotten cms installs - they won't usually be accessible from the domain homepage. Honestly you're better off just scraping footprints with a site:.gov operator
  • bchubbchub Dublin
    Hey, it sounds like the domain filter isn't working as expected. The !.gov syntax should match only .gov domains, but it's not filtering out non-.gov URLs. Can you try using a ends with filter instead of must have? Also, double-check that the filter is applied correctly and there are no other filters conflicting with it.
  • Am I losing my mind here or what?  The "!" in !.gov means should "NOT" match .gov TLD.

Its like saying domain must not have .gov

Its appears maybe you used the must have filter,  but but telling it to ! not accept .gov

Must have domain filter !.gov should give .gov domains
    I'm pretty sure this statement would be false. Domain filter must have = .gov should give .gov domains while ! would filter them out.

It seems its matching filter above because they are not OR ! .gov domains.

Quite possibly I am missing something, but I think just delete the and your problem may be solved now that you would not be filtering the domains you want out?

The above advice seems helpful also. Have you fixed this? ksatul
  • @bchub you are right it is not working as expected, it is matching to non gov urls but it is not finding. gov urls. I will try with  ends with 

@backlinkaddict   !.gov means should "NOT" match .gov TLD  
    you are right it should not match but it is must have domain filter that has !.gov as a sub-filter i think. so it works probably like this 
    skip not .gov  so it finds !.gov and skips all but .gov . Problem is it is not giving back any .gov at all.

or just manually search .gov in verified files/folder. won't take more than few hours manually.
  • royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    edited June 23
    @ksatul @backlinkaddict

The correct entry to add is as follows if you ONLY want.GOV urls
    D:!.gov

See video how to do it here: https://www.loom.com/share/c0986c5f24a1407796f6568e0e0c92f8?sid=5f74f0e6-86bd-4ea2-87f4-a7043793a3b9
  • @royalmice - Thanks for explanation video and I see your point there!  That makes perfect sense if your starting with the skip sites filter then creating domain filter and then using another subfilter as mentioned above so guess in this case the D:.!gov here means NOT to skip government domains as oppossed to filter them out. SER is creating this for you here. . .

When I see like he said at first, he created "domain or URL must have filter" my mind goes to script manual-like thinking where you have to add filters yourself url must have= "what you want" OR  url must have="! what you don't want"

So many options and ways to do things it's easy to confuse the most experienced user at times,  this is why I like having these discussions and see others points of views, perspectives and remind me things I may have forgotten :) 

Either way, I don't think trying to add 11 million URLs to SER is great idea.. Hopefully he figured it out. Personally, If I had that issue I'd just switch it around and then see if anything changes.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend B)
  • bchubbchub Dublin
    edited June 23
    @ksatul  Glad you're willing to try the ends with filter! In the meantime, I'm curious - have you checked the project logs to see if there are any errors or warnings related to the domain filter? Also, are you using any other filters in combination with the domain filter that might be affecting the results?
  • i have tried various domain filter not just gov, nothing seems to work as it should.
    DOn't really have time to debug and all that. just set the filter and if it doesn't work than forget it, just waste of time really.

thanks all for your time.

i have fed 30 million links in the past for link building, works well for link building. 
  • royalmice said:
    @ksatul @backlinkaddict

The correct entry to add is as follows if you ONLY want.GOV urls
    D:!.gov

See video how to do it here: https://www.loom.com/share/c0986c5f24a1407796f6568e0e0c92f8?sid=5f74f0e6-86bd-4ea2-87f4-a7043793a3b9
    that's what i did?. you  should try with any other domain tld to see how it works ?.
  • bchub said:
    @ksatul  Glad you're willing to try the ends with filter! In the meantime, I'm curious - have you checked the project logs to see if there are any errors or warnings related to the domain filter? Also, are you using any other filters in combination with the domain filter that might be affecting the results?
    how to create ends with filter?.  through the string in add domain filter ?.