Skip to content

I discovered proxies... like hot water

For many of you it will certainly not be new, but for me, poorly advised by Microsoft support, it is a good discovery. When I installed Windows 11 for the first time, I noticed that unlike the other versions, even in 10, in the network settings, between public and private network it is recommended to opt for the public network, so when in doubt I contacted Microsoft support who advised me to set the connection to a public network. However, to make a long story short, in SER I received a maximum of 40 proxies between Connect/Socks4/Socks5, it is clear that I excluded Web and Transparent.
However, by pure chance I decided half an hour ago to set up the connection on a private network and surprisingly, not only did the download of the proxies become much faster, but approximately 250 proxies were downloaded, all good ones, many even for Google.
I know that for some of you it's nothing new, but in any case maybe it could be of help to those like me who don't understand a thing about proxies and have the same problem.
Tagged:

Comments

• royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions

@verdemuschio

I am not sure exactly what you are saying, but I don't think changing the network type from public to private will enable you to scrape more proxies; maybe it is coincidental  that you just happen to get more after changing the settings.

In Windows 11, the terms "public" and "private" network refer to the security settings that Windows applies based on your chosen network profile. These profiles affect how your PC interacts with other devices on the network and whether your PC is discoverable to other devices. Here's what each profile typically means and how they differ:

1. Public Network:

• This profile is designed for networks in public places like cafes, airports, or libraries. When you set a network as public, Windows tightens security settings to help protect your computer from unwanted connections.
      • Features like network discovery, file, and printer sharing are turned off by default.
      • Firewall and security settings are more restrictive to prevent unauthorized access.
    2. Private Network:

• This profile is intended for home or work networks where you trust all the devices on the network.
      • Network discovery is enabled, which allows you to see other devices on the network and allows other devices to see your computer.
      • File and printer sharing is also enabled, facilitating easier sharing of files and printers within the network.

Impact on Network Speed

The designation of a network as public or private in Windows does not inherently affect the speed of your network connection. Network speeds are primarily influenced by factors such as:

• The quality of your internet service provider (ISP) and internet plan.
    • The technology used for your connection (e.g., Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet).
    • The capacity and quality of your networking hardware (like routers and switches).
    • Network congestion, both on your local network and on the internet.

The main difference between public and private networks in Windows 11 lies in their security settings, not their speed. Therefore, neither public nor private settings offer inherently faster network speeds. Instead, these settings help you balance connectivity and security based on the network environment.

But hey, if you are getting more proxies because of the change, then GREAT. Maybe the change affected something that allowed you to get more proxies.

• royalmice said:

@verdemuschio

I am not sure exactly what you are saying, but I don't think changing the network type from public to private will enable you to scrape more proxies; maybe it is coincidental  that you just happen to get more after changing the settings.

Honestly I do not know. I also knew as you know. The fact is that I had the public network activated for about two years, also because in Windows 11 Pro, in the network settings, the public network is explicitly recommended even for home networks. As later also recommended by Microsoft. So that's what I did. Then by changing to a private network, maybe it will also be a coincidence as you say, I don't doubt it, but as soon as I changed network I fell for so many of those proxies for Google and Bing that had never happened before, and I'm referring to proxies of the Connect and Socks type. Anyway, it's definitely better that way
  • Why would you contact Microsft about proxy usage?
    Because in the network settings Microsoft recommends setting the public network even for home networks. So I had a strong doubt about what to set.
    However, I have no problem contacting Microsoft since I have nothing to hide. So I wanted to remove any doubts, but instead it seems that it is better to set up the private network.
  • royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    There are 2 default settings in Windows 11 default network settings that can be optimized for better performance.

I would rather not give detailed instructions because if you don't know what u are doing, it could mess up your settings.
    If you know where to find the TCP/IP  and Jumbo Frame settings, you can change the below to potentially improve throughput.

TCP/IP Optimization Settings:

• TCP Receive Window Size: Increase to 65535.
    • TCP Window Scaling: Enable.
    • TCP Chimney Offload: Disable.
    • TCP Congestion Control Provider: Cubic.
    • MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit): Increase to 1500 (for Ethernet).

Jumbo Frames:

• Jumbo Packet: Enable and set MTU to 9000 bytes.
  • royalmice said:
    There are 2 default settings in Windows 11 default network settings that can be optimized for better performance.
    There are system optimizer software that does this. However, yes, my settings are already set to these values, in fact I can reach, according to the Ookla network speed test, almost all the speed guaranteed by my provider
  • verdemuschioverdemuschio Italy
    edited April 21
    Among the values you indicated I also found this RWIN which is equal to 186880. Is this OK or should I change it? With what value? I have a FTTH 1000 Mega connection.
    edited April 21
    The speedtest gives me a download speed between 940 Mbps and 943 Mbps, Upload over 104 Mbps, Ping 2 or 3
    edited April 21
    The best configuration for my network connection is as follows:

ScalingHeuristics=disabled
    CongestionProvider=CUBIC
    Checksum Offload=enabled
    MTU=1492
    MaxUserPort=65534
    Chimney=disabled
    ReceiveSegmentCoalescing=disabled
    ReceiveSideScaling=enabled
    Large Send Offload=disabled
    MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server=10
    MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server=10
    MaxConnectionsPerServer=10
    MaxConnectionsPerServer=10
    LocalPriority=4
    HostsPriority=5
    DnsPriority=6
    NetbtPriority=7
    NonBestEffortLimit=20
    Do not use NLA=1
    NetworkThrottlingIndex=-1
    SystemResponsiveness=10
    Size=3
    LargeSystemCache=1
    TcpTimedWaitDelay=30
    TCPNoDelay=-1
    DefaultTTL=64
    EcnCapability=disabled
    Timestamps=disabled
    MaxSynRetransmissions=2
    NonSackRttResiliency=disabled
    InitialRto(ms)=
    MinRto(ms)=
    [Ethernet]
    MaxUserPort=65534
    TcpAckFrequency=-1
    TcpDelAckTicks=-1
    TCPNoDelay=-1
  • Yes, my goal is also SEO optimization. Regarding the TCP configuration, you wrote that you still have to make several configuration attempts, and in the end I found that the best and fastest network configuration for me is the one described above. Obviously network security must also be considered, so it's best not to mess around too much and touch something I'm not sure about.
    Then I found a network configuration on a Microsoft page that more or less corresponds to the parameters above. But then again, I wouldn't want to unknowingly open doors that undermine network security. I already have a strong doubt whether the network connection should be the private one or the public one. Imagine if I then put safety at risk
  • Incredible! After wasting time finding my ideal network configuration, during the day my provider's assistance calls me and confirms that in the next few days a technician will arrive at my home who will install the new modem for the 10Giga connection. Good, but knowing that meant I didn't waste time. Furthermore, I will also have to purchase a network card that supports 10Giga connection.  :D:D:D
  • What could you possibly need 10GB speed for at home, 1gb up and down is not fast enough for you....?
    Yes, but in fact I won't pay for the 10Giga. Are too many. In truth, the provider told me that they are working on the connection for 10Giga and that they will therefore prepare the system for the 10Giga connection. Obviously the speed increase to 10 Giga has its cost. But since there is the possibility of speeding up the network, I'm thinking of buying a network card that supports 2.5Giga and changing the provider's tariff plan for 2.5Giga. I found an offer with the same provider that increases speed and reduces costs on the bill. The only change is that calls with the landline will no longer be unlimited free but you will pay for consumption. But I don't need the landline phone, so I'd better switch to 2.5 Giga. Meanwhile, I have an ethernet cable that supports up to 40 Giga, they will install the router for 10 Giga, I will have to buy a network card on Amazon.
    edited April 26
    Awesome guys! The technicians installed the switch for the 2.5 Gbps connection. In fact they didn't change the modem, they just added the switch. However the improvement lies in the upload more than anything else. The upload reaches 1 Gbps. Exceptional. The 2.5 Gbps network card will arrive tomorrow. I am going crazy. Sending packets at incredible speed. The difference is that there is no longer a difference between download and upload, they travel at the same speed