Skip to content

Spamming T1, dangerous?

edited April 2013 in Need Help
Guys, I was reverse engineering a website today.  Using majesticSEO, it took me 5 minutes to see the backlinks to the site's T1's (granted, not a huge link profile).  Google can easily do a an algorithmic map, or even generate a visual map of link profile for any site for review.  This would not stand a manual review.

So my question.  Do you think it is a good idea to spam T1's.   I am a proponent of having multiple links in the T1, i.e. build them up as resource pages and have multiple links to various domains on those pages.

Your thoughts? What are different ways to "confuse" search engines.  I am not thinking of slash and burn. But something that would last a long time.

Comments

• Are you talking about links to your T1 sites?

The purpose of having T1s is to protect your main site, so if they get burned for spam, your M$ doesn't.

• @davbel, yes, I am talking linking to T1's.   I understand that they act as buffer, but in this day and age, is that enough protection.  If all the links on T1 are self-serving, search engine can easily see that the spam is intended to benefit the money site.
  • My thought right now is to never put a single link in T1 to my money site.  I am thinking of always puttting 4-5 links in there to mix things a bit.  So what if I lose PR juice, this is insurance.  And not talking about wikipedia links.
  • What kind of spam are you talking about? Do you mean Blog comment kinda spam or contextual links?
  • It all depends on what you put on your T1s and the content you use to link to them.

If they are not obviously self serving then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
  • @hoolak  well.. it is pretty much spam when you throw tons of links at something - some better some worse.

@davbel - yes, I am thinking of ways to confuse the linking for SE's.  The point is if everyone is building web 2.'s and then slamming links to them, SE's also wise up and pick up their game too.  So need to stay one step ahead of the game - my way is to have multiple links on T1 content, that really throws them off the scent.
  • I think some times we give Google too much credit. Sure, maybe they COULD do this...for SOME sites. But does anyone really think that even Google has the computing power to do this type of analysis for every combination of sites and search terms?

Maybe it only took you five minutes, but that was for one site for one search term. And sure Google could (and would) automate this. But to do this for even the top 10 sites for every search term would require so much computing power and data storage resources that I can't imagine it would be possible. And on top of that, they would have to do it next week (to see what all had changed on the sites - or their backlinks)...and the week after that...and the week after that...
  • What you are doing is similar to building a private blog/link network. How much more time does it take you to set this up?

I personally don't think it will make any difference, as outbound links don't relate to each other unless they are pointing at the same site.

The whole point of tiered link building is to protect your money site from penalties. It's about control. The reason web 2.0s work so well for this is because they already have millions of links pointing at them. Another thousand links won't make any difference to their link profile, but the juice being filtered towards your domain will be of huge benefit to you. In addition some of them are aged and carry authority/trust.
  • I think penguin only looks for duplicate content (maybe panda) and footprints and irrelevant things..... its the manual reviewers that are the sad gits... but they are lazy and never do any work.... but just to be on the safe side i make it extremely difficult for them... as they probably can like on ahrefs see the different anchor text all listed and if lots of dave commented.... then they will be able to know it unnatural without clicking a thing.... but tiers require them to search through stuff... work in other words... they dont like that. Manual reviewers are pure evil people... but probably very lazy.

• @content32 LMAO that's funny "pure evil"
  • You've also got to remember that the sites you are building your links to your T1s also have lots of other links pointing to lots of other other sites, so why would your links be singled out?

• @davbel, yes if T2's are linking to lots of other sites, NO PROBLEM.  I am just cautioning against doing a single link from T2 to T1 and doing many of those single links.  

Google, I have heard, has a visualer.  You type a domain, and it shows you all the tiers (I could do that if I had google's backlink database, too, remember that they see the whole web).  So all I am saying be careful - for long term sites.
  • cool been looking for one of those to see my tiers..Do you know any programs that can do that what anyone can get?
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Spam the hell out of them.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited April 2013
    I think the main thing you should be concerned with, is if your Tier1 links websites eg Wordpress notice what you're doing and blacklist you on Akismet etc.
  • Matt Cutts has been talking of an upcoming penguin 3 to be released in 2013.. Surely it's got to have something to do with this, i don't know how they're gonna work it but they're not stupid, they know that people are spamming tier 1s now instead of the old method of spamming / link building directly to money sites and you can guarantee they're working on somthing to combat this.
  • @ron "spam the hell out of them." - I agree....

@sobiman - like others have suggested, I don't believe Google has the ability to analyze every single website or link on the internet. If that were true we wouldn't have to work like dogs just to get about 30% of the links we built indexed. They would all be indexed immediately. This shows their lack of ability, clearly. I don't use buffers on any tiers, and I don't use 301 Redirects or any of the other overly sensationalized tactics out there. I send links to every url I have. A lot of them. And I never stop. EVER. I do, however, use very high quality content and a very wide range of tools. Anyone who uses a single link building tool will sure get hit. In almost 7 years I haven't had one site be blacklisted, sandboxed, or whatever term you want to use. Just use quality content, build links to links to links and link to every link you have and can find. And never stop building links!

Remember there are over a half a BILLION domains registered world wide and according to recent statistics there are almost 1 million websites published EVERY DAY and continues to grow. As the desert becomes more vast, it will become harder for Google to police it...