Skip to content

cpu usage has increased rapidly since the recent update.

Since the recent update, cpu usage has been over 90%.

Before the update, the maximum cpu usage was 10%.

Is there a problem?
@Sven

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    hmm no, the update was not modifying anything on the code, just improving the scripts.
  • odinotodinot Earth's inner core
    edited January 2022
    I found this trick to get GSA SER to be efficient. But it takes roughly about ~15minutes for my case.

So I launched a new VM, new GSA SER installed, my sitelist that I have been building.

VM Specs
    - 2vCPU
    - 8GB RAM

Created a new campaign with 4projects on SER.

T1 > T2 > (T3+T3+T3)

Loaded my articles only about 20 articles to EACH TIER but spinned to the maximum. On average each article has about 200 different articles. Note that I also enabled further mixing of sentences randomly within GSA SER. Data tab also has spintext in most fields.

Then I fired SER with 200 threads. My CPU usage just shoot up to 100%, I was almost unable to do anything though SER keeps running. I see my VPM keeps going up.

Tried decreasing threads to even 50threads still at 90% - 100% CPU usage. I then tweak my VM to have 4vCPU and 16GB RAM. Ran at 50threads again, still 80-90% CPU for SER. So I kind of lost hope, thinking that it was due to the articles I loaded with loads of SPINTEXT as SER would need to derived all these SPINNED content to a proper one.

Keeping in mind that I have any instance of SER running verification building my verified list but with NO spin articles. This verification instance was running efficiently at 1800threads, this verification instance has 16vCPU 64GB RAM. It's a dedicated server too that I split it up into VMs. This verification instance has xEvil, hRefer, SER verification instance. So my final conclusion was that I did way too much SPINNED content hence SER had to do a lot of hardwork.

So I leave it be.

Came back later to check the 2vCPU instance and I see that the CPU usage goes all the way down to less than 10%. So I increased my threads to just 300threads. It was running smoothly. Then I cloned my T2 with all of its T3, 2 times. So in total now 13projects, and set it to active. CPU usages immediately jumps up again to ~90%. I lowered the number of threads again. Let it sit for awhile, do other stuffs.

Came back and see it has stabilize again, so I slowly increases my threads 50 by 50. Then eventually 100 by 100. Now I am at 1500threads, and SER is only using up 20-30ish% of CPU.

So every time you restart SER or re-activate projects all you had to do was, decrease down the threads. And then Increase it by 50-100 threads each time. Let it stabilize and repeat until your desired number of threads.

Was thinking of changing my VM back from 4vCPU to 2vCPU. In theory 2vCPU should be more than enough to handle 1500 threads, I supposed. But I am just leaving it, let it SER building backlinks as I do not need the 2vCPU as of now.

Maybe you want to give it a try? No harm trying, maybe it might works for you too. I am using latest version of SER v15.94.

@Sven
    I am curious to know too, is there some sort of caching enabled for SER. The project stabilize after running for sometimes, probably taking those articles of generated content from SPINTEXT immediately from some sort of cache(RAM/DISK)?

It's still running smoothly till now. So there shouldn't be any issue with the latest update. It's probably because due to the update GSA SER restarted. And maybe you campaign probably has to do the initial hardwork till it stabilize.
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    more threads on startup means it reads a lot more urls from the site lists in batches when later increase will not modify that number. however, I recently worked on speed and cpu usage and optimized things a bit. Please report back on next update.
    For my case, I am seeing way higher cpu usage. When I did the same thing as above. Note that I am still using the same instance with the same exact settings. For now I am reverting back to previous version.

Maybe we shall wait for more people to report back. See if it suits them.