Skip to content

conflict between article manager & where to get link text from

under "options"  - "folder with data files to use"
i have set it to get the link text for articles from a .txt file within a folder.

the articles i have imported do not have links in them.

on the article manager i have set it to -

"how to link" - "sentence at a random location"
"insert up to 1 additional links from project"

it is taking the main website "anchor text" (under "data") & using this & only this & not the .txt file i have selected it to use - which is this :-

i have set it to get the link text for articles from a .txt file within a folder.

do i need to add anything else ?
i want it to use the .txt file 100% of the time

Comments

• ps
    it is getting the urls correct, but not the link text
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    So you have sentences.dat file in that specified folder and modified it right? And now it is not using this but the default file?
    If so, it probably didn't want to use any sentence at all but found the anchor in the article and placed a link directly.

• "So you have sentences.dat file in that specified folder and modified it right?"

no, i just did a .txt file with the link text on it.

i changed the file with the text on it to
    "sentences.dat"
    & it is still not taking the text from the file, it is taking it from the anchor text under "data" & using url variations that have been set.

does the folder have to be in any specific place ?
    i select the specific folder from

the folder with text file in it is in
    appdata>roaming>gsa search engine ranker>(folder with file in it)

"modified it right"

what does "modified" mean ?

"If so, it probably didn't want to use any sentence at all but found the anchor in the article and placed a link directly."
    it has used the "anchor text" under "data" 100% of the time.

OK it's working like this:
    1. copy the files "auto_anchor.dat" and "auto_anchor-article.dat" to your custom folder. You find them in the engines\ folder where you installed SER to.
    2. Open them in notepad and change it the way you want it to be.
  • is that just one main folder you can use ?

or can you do that for each project ?

i have looked for the forum thread or private message where we discussed this before but cant find it, i dont know if the thread has been deleted because someone deleted one the other day.
    you can have a separate folder for each project.
  • thats not working,
    the folder has 3 files in it,

sentences.dat
    auto_anchor-article
    auto_anchor

the anchor text it is putting in the links is from the anchor text under "data" & also the article title, but i think the ones with the article title are down to the platform (article directory pro)

• i remembered why i couldnt find the conversation between me & you when we discussed it before,
    it was because we didnt have a conversation , you were on my vps using teamviewer (whatever) & you created the folder with the .dat file in it, & i then duplicated this for all the projects (& it worked as it should)
    but i have changed vps since then, so cant find how to duplicate that,

but it was different than what you say above because it just had one .dat file in it
    i just duplicated each folder, changed it to the project name, opened the .dat file & pasted the project anchor text into it.

I have to correct myself then. The file "sentences.dat" was never part of GSA Search engine Ranker but was a file for GSA Content Creator. Im sorry, I mixed that up.
    So yes, you need to copy the *.dat files from the default engine folder to a new one, specify that new folder for your other projects and then also change the content of the dat files to whatever you want.
  • are you sure its 2 .dat files ? & not 1 .dat file ?
    im sure when you did it on my vps you created a folder (with the project name) & it had 1 .dat file in it.

i cant remember what it was called (i dont think it matters what the file is called does it?)

if it has 2 files, isnt that going to confuse it , im using 100% of the anchor text from this file

the only deviation of this is urls variations under data (change ge to GE)
  • i am trying it now with just one .dat file in it
    Well there are a couple of dat files...each one with a different purpose. anchor*.dat are the who which are used to add link-sentences.
  • i have been trying it (before your above message) & it wasnt putting the link in there at all.

it was taking the anchor text from the "anchor text" under "data"
    i removed this & then it was putting no link text in at all.

"Well there are a couple of dat files"
    im 100% sure there was 1 .dat file when you went on my vps previously & got it working, i know this because i copied the folder & .dat file for each project & opened up the .dat file to copy & paste the link text appropriate for that project, & it was definitely only 1 .dat file.

i cant remember what the .dat file was called when you got it working before, but im about 90% sure it wasnt called either of the 2 file names below.

"copy the files "auto_anchor.dat" and "auto_anchor-article.dat""

"Well there are a couple of dat files...each one with a different purpose. anchor*.dat are the who which are used to add link-sentences."

what do i try now ?

if the .dat files have different purposes then it does make adifference, i thought it was just a matter of taking the text from the file.

where you said this above

"1. copy the files "auto_anchor.dat" and "auto_anchor-article.dat" to your custom folder. You find them in the engines\ folder where you installed SER to."

did you mean delete the 2 .dat files in the "engines\ folder" - or leave them in there ?
    i had left them in there - because it said "copy"

• Sven,

i dont know if you've got any ideas about this, but i tried to copy what you did when you were on my vps & got it working a while ago.

i created a folder & created a .dat file with a random name for it, put the anchor text in it & it did not work.

i managed to get it working by putting the anchor text in the "generic text" .txt file, but then realised that there is only 1 generic .txt file for every project, so i can only run one set of projects at a time.

i think this is how you got round it before, by using a .dat file but it was for generic anchor text (replaced by the anchor text for the specific project)

& it was selected from
    options>folder with data files to use

No, copying the anchor files should just work fine. Just give me the VPS data again and I will do it ones more.