Skip to content

For Micro Message, Is %url% necessary?

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
I had these set as above, but if I took this out, would the engines necessarily put in the %url%s by themselves? Thank you!

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    yes, almost all will create a backlink on a nacked url.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    OK; so I'm removing all the extra %url%s. Thank you, Sven. Have a good weekend! :)
    *ughh* I am so sorry. I asked a question in the title, and another in the body of the message. The questions are opposites of one another! So, Sven, can you please clarify. lol Sorry about that! Not sure which Q you're responding yes to! :P
    I just had a look at engines using this since I couldn't remember. Most will leave your micro message as it is, some will automatically add a links as thats the only place a link can be placed.
    hmm....I guess I could divide the engines into two projects:  those that add a link and those that don't.

Then, I could put data that has %website% or whatever in one, and leave it out in the other.

Is there another way, Sven?
  • Hi @Sven

I searched for an answer but this is only post I could find with info. 

GSA's Help link says to Use spintax for micro message. 
    It looks like these 3 engines are used with Micro Message: Article, social network, and microblog

What is the best option for this field:
    1. Nothing (sounds like from info above it may add it to some but not all if this field is blank)
    2. A spun text that also has the %url%
    3. Just %url%
    Not sure what type of content to place in micro message or what the character limit is.  I couldn't find an example of what spot this is added within the engines.  

Appreciate your help!
    Think of micro messages the way you would write on twitter. So using spin syntax is good + leaving a plain URL in the text.
    But even html will do as SER will convert to to a plain URL if needed.
  • Instead of %url%, I am using %link%.
    Below is the sample I use in all Micro Message, Description 250 and Description 450 etc.
    Is this a good method?

%link%. {some spintax text}
    Using link will insert <a href=%url%>%anchor_text%</a>
  • yes. Using %link% will show the anchor text. is that not better than %url% without anchor text?
    yes, its usually better to have an anchor text, but it is also some kind of unnatural having html in a micro message. But as long as that link is staying it's all fine.
    edited June 2023
    Hi, Sven.

What about activating the,  "Try to always place a URL with anchor text in description/comment" option?

Can I just set the above option to active, and then write a micro message that is *******anchor text*****  without a URL?  Will SER will always add the link automatically for all the micro message engines, as long as I left enough characters, if this "always place URL with anchor" is set on, and an anchor is found?

Thanks!!
    yes it should work here as well.
    OK, thank you, Sven! I am realizing this must be used with care, else it ruins a sentence in the posting!!! :fearful: