Skip to content

how to take speechmarks from search engine searches

how do you remove the speechmarks  - "  "   that gsa puts before & after the search that it uses on the search engines ?

such as
"powered by elgg" etc

Comments

• all of my projects - under "data" put keyword in quotes when used in search engines" - it has this unticked, but still uses speechmarks on all all of the searches it does
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Instead of "powered by elgg" you want it to search with: powered by elgg ? Sorry, but thats not very cleaver. It will find a lot unrelated sites.
  • yes it is because you will be able to use a lot more search engines that dont recognise the speechmark command, and also less proxies because they will get blocked less because of less specific searches.

when i use it on the backend search
    options
    tools
    search online for urls

i remove the speechmarks & get a lot more "identified" urls, admittedly the ratio of verified urls will be less but overall you get a lot more verified urls.
  • "It will find a lot unrelated sites."
    yes, but when you put them through the projects with all platforms selected that you are using, it will find a lot of urls from platforms that you were not specifically searching for

give me a search engine that doesn't recognize quotes.
  • then how come (using the same proxies etc)
    scraping using the projects , most of the time they return with 0 results (and they are using quotes)

using this
    options
    tools
    search online for urls
    it finds many many many more identified urls & it is not using quotes (because i have taken them off)

• if you do it yourself, both the above methods & see how many each comes up with,

but this method
    options
    tools
    search online for urls

only finds identified urls,

if it was the same with the projects they would be verified because they are going straight into the projects

I really have my doubts about this. When you search for "powered by xyz" it should find sites with this only. Without quotes it will find sites where this is not in same order. And then either wrongly identified or not at all.
  • "And then either wrongly identified or not at all."

they cant be "wrongly identified" when you are scraping for multiple platforms & verifying (by putting them through the project) for multiple platforms, it will go through all the platforms you have selected.

When you search for "powered by xyz" it should find sites with this only
    when it does this on the projects (scraping) 9 times out of 10, it will come back with 0 (none) results.
    literally "0" most of the time.

when it scrapes on the backend
    options
    tools
    search online for urls

it is much less targeting, but gets a lot more "identified" & the end result is a lot more sites verified, after selecting all of the platforms you intend to use.

• just to clarify - i dont mean i want the quotes taken off all the time, i mean it would be (very) usefull to have the option to take the quotes taken off.

i know it works for me from when i have used this
    options
    tools
    search online for urls

& just taken the quotes out, but that gets identified, so it would be better to go directly into the project & get verified

even though I don't see much use in this, i will try making quotes.usage an option on next update.
    Thanked by 1marty
  • THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

it it wasnt as good as i thought i will still let you know

• i set up a project, just to scrape for urls & process them through a project with all platforms on the left that i was using in any projects (nearly all of them.)
    (all projects selected that i was using)

i had the new box ticked.

from what i can see it is getting more verified urls.

it is not conclusive because other people might be using less platforms, & it has only been running for a couple of hours, but it still has loads of identified urls to process so if anything it would be a bit better in time.

but from what i can see in the short period of time it is getting more verifieds with the box ticked.

so thank you again.

id be interested in what anyone else had to say.

• ive had a look again & yes it is definitely getting more verifieds