Skip to content

Are Blog Comments really so bad?

spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
edited March 2013 in Need Help
Most people on here recommend using them on Tier 2+, but what difference is there (in Google's eyes) between a Blog Comment below an article , and an article with a link added in to the bottom of it? Surely there is no difference, is there any evidence that Google can distinguish between what is a blog comment and what is not?  I'm considering just going crazy with BC on tier1.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    I unticked ALL BC..... they just suck up valuable resources, get low verified 1-5% dont stick and I even got some personal spam complaints :-(  (yes, I did a testrun on some ytube channels..).. and that was low numbers, not the usual 10k BC some others do a day.

Dont use them on secondary, T1 or T2 anymore.

Still use IC and GBcomments as an easy and quick way to get T1 indexed (somehow, nonone cares there about spam...) and the verify% is 20-50%... and they stick foroever .........

only reason for BC is that "sometimes" you can get a valuable high pr-link. sometimes...

i rather do manual BC when I surf around these days.
  • ronron SERLists.com

Don't.

Yes, google can tell the difference. Comments are in the comments section, come on Spunko!!

Links embedded within the text of a nice article are infinitely more valuable - and safer. It means the blog writer thought highly enough to mention your website in the midst of their commentary. That makes it far more natural and worthy. A comment is a comment is a comment. It is not an article.

Comments play an invaluable role for me in lower tiers. Don't overvalue their importance, and yet, don't undervalue them. Just understand their place in your overall scheme.

• spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    But if the layout of all websites was the same I could see how Google could tell if a comment was in the Comments box, I'm just not convinced they can always tell the difference between a few links at the bottom of an article, and a few comments below that...

I will rethink my strategy then ...
  • edited March 2013
    I often see articles used in Blog Comment, GB, IC linking directly to T1.

I have never tried so i have no idea if it's safe or usefull, for example : http://codes.concordia.ca/mbl/displayimage.php?album=22&pos=54
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited March 2013
    That is a great example of why they should never be pointed at your tier 1 - Look at all the Ugg, Louis Vutton, Gucci and Christian Louboutin spam on that page. 

Why would you want a link to one of your sites on a page that is clearly full of the lowest of the low spam comments? 

The only time you should ever have a blog comment pointing to your money site is a relevant, well written, topical comment that actually adds something to the page / discussion on a site that moderates comments.

That's the law :D
  • edited March 2013
    WOW do you have like any SEO knowledge whatsoever?

The fewer outbound links on a page you place a backlink the better. So if you create an article it only has your link on the page. While if you place a blog comment your link will be placed on a page with 100's or 1000's other comments with links.

Also have you really never hear about contextual backlinks? When google sees a link from an SEO article backlinking to a SEO website it will give that link way more power than a blog comment on a page about toys backlinking to a SEO website.
  • Of course contextuals links and low OBL are better, but when i look into link profile of highly competitive niches i can see a lots of crappy link, obvious spam, totaly unreadable content etc...
  • @sawa73 it's all about risk / reward