Skip to content

Sub-Domains and Clean URLs

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
edited December 2020 in Other / Off Topic
Hope all the GSA forum members are about to have a good weekend...

I was wondering...On the site I'm re-doing, I used a lot of sub-domains.

Should I consolidate some? I see a need for subs for very different topics, but a few are just site-wide stuff that shouldn't be on a sub.

Any knowledge of how using sub-domains affects SEO? Does Google not want to see subs? Or if it's OK, under what conditions?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    If I would recreate gsa-online.de, I would choose a sub domain for static data that is used on all other domains like static.gsa-online.de that can use a global cache system and where every external files are hosted like css, images, fonts... Thats something you should consider to speed things up.
    Then maybe use sub domains for categories on your site like seo-software.gsa-online.de or science.gsa-online.de but thats it basically.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited December 2020
    static.gsa-online.de, having its own nameserver, benefits by being able to be hosted on a separate server!

Hmm...An ultra-fast server or cloud just for that stuff wouldn't even use a lot of resources! Not tons of data. Just little PHP, CSS, Javascript files, etc. Images might be heavier depending on how many...

For sites with literally TONS of images...you  could also place them  on a cheaper server, no? Like a "storage-grade" VPS, that isn't as fast. As long as you lazy load would slower-loading images affect page load speed metric (actual used by SEs not one of many "simulated"?)

Sven, I also just learned of Apache "reverse proxy" set-ups. Yet another way to pull in data from another website. Tho don't know if it slows things down??? (For another post)