Skip to content

Will A DDOS attack adversely affect rankings?

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
edited December 2020 in Other / Off Topic
I am guessing YES? Because speed is seemingly a major a factor in determining a website's worth in ranking in SERPs. And Google doesn't know the background story...just that the page is served extremely slowly, if at all.

Then, if it DOES affect ranking, how? If Googlebots can't load page, I wonder how many successive non-loads counts against you, and at that point the page will eventually disappear from SERPs altogether?

Comments

• Haven't come across a DDOS attack but when the page cannot be loaded, Google love to make such sites disappear.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    It depends on how long this ddos was keeping your site down. I wouldn't worry too much on a day or two ddos attack...everything else should get your attention in terms of SEO.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    "It depends on how long this ddos was keeping your site down. "

Pre-CloudFlare, it was pretty much down day after day, continuously.  Then I found CloudFlare and that solved everything.

That was a few months ago, tho. Since then, the only DDOS attack that was  effective was apparently hitting other domains on the shared server. On one WordPress installation, I was getting database time-outs, and so I think they even hit the DB.

So for this site, I guess it's not the DDOS that's of issue, most likely...

Thanks for the input! 8-)