Skip to content

Is it possible to script regular GSA SER maintenance to run e.g. weekly?

majkee97majkee97 Prague, The Capital, Czech Republic
Hello Sven,
I would like to ask, if it is somehow possible to create (and schedule its running) the script, that will take care about the GSA SER maintenance? I would expect something like this:
1)Stop all running projects
2)Wait until they will be really stopped
3)After the moment, when all projects got stopped, all unused accounts will be removed, as well as all submitted and verified URLs not to keep them in RAM
4)Check the count of proxies, when it got aborted, all unchecked and not functional proxies got deleted and from selected sources will be added proxies and tested afterwards.

When the script got to point 4 (prior it), projects will again be started (proxies scanning and adding goes on the background in the meanwhile).

If something like that is possible to make only by usage of GUI with mouse clicking or opening of the menus, that might not be such bad, if you would be able to advise my some mouse recording app to perform these steps. I see that not everyone use the same resolution of the display.

And I would finaly schedule in my OS run of such script e.g. each day at 7am, so I would be able to verify, whether everything went fine, so I do not waste the system resources running the server without running GSA SER and related applications well.

Thanks a lot for your answer and hint. 
Regards,
Michal
Thanked by 1DrGeek

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    That might be something to consider on the scheduler. I could e.g. use that one and add more options to it to cleanup projects before starting/finishing or something.
    Let me know if thats something you would want to use and I will add support in there.
  • majkee97majkee97 Prague, The Capital, Czech Republic
    Hello Sven,
    yes. That would be handy. I have in the meanwhile simply decided to purchase VPN, as the proxy usage was too delaying. Now I am connected through Romania, and now I am instead in the situation to sort indexing of the links. :D
    Anyway thanks for your good job.

Michal
  • sickseosickseo London,UK
    @Sven I just wanted to bring this thread back to life as I think it's an excellent suggestion and I can't believe it was suggested so many years ago and not been implemented.

I'm running over 100 installs and my entire day is literally taken up stopping projects, removing submitted links, deleting target url cache, history and accounts, pressing start.

So having these steps automated by the software would be absolutely amazing! I would get my life back lol

Most definitely the above steps being automated via the scheduler would awesome. Not sure how or when it would do the reset. Would it be set by time, for example every 24 hours, or every 3 days. Or would it reset based on no more link targets being available?

Some additional suggestions:

1. Be able to set the number of times the projects will be reset
    2. set an auto import of target urls from a txt file once it's been reset and starts running again

Thanks

Thanked by 2Deeeeeeee rastarr
  • rastarrrastarr Thailand
    sickseo said:
    @Sven I just wanted to bring this thread back to life as I think it's an excellent suggestion and I can't believe it was suggested so many years ago and not been implemented.

I'm running over 100 installs and my entire day is literally taken up stopping projects, removing submitted links, deleting target url cache, history and accounts, pressing start.

So having these steps automated by the software would be absolutely amazing! I would get my life back lol

Most definitely the above steps being automated via the scheduler would awesome. Not sure how or when it would do the reset. Would it be set by time, for example every 24 hours, or every 3 days. Or would it reset based on no more link targets being available?

Some additional suggestions:

1. Be able to set the number of times the projects will be reset
    2. set an auto import of target urls from a txt file once it's been reset and starts running again

Thanks

Ha I've only got 2 VPS running and that takes a bit of daily time to tidy up. I cant't imagine about 100

Would you want different settings for different Tiers as well? Whatever sven decides, it should be based on a user-choice of parameters if possible. It may well be a part of each Projects' settings too
    All in all, yeah, this would be a great addition. 
  • sickseo said:

When I was doing this my approach was to have the scheduler pause at a certain time in the day, then set a perl script running that deleted .success, .hosts_done, and .urls_done files from the projects directory (via windows task scheduler) a minute or so later, then have the scheduler restart everything a few minutes after that. I think that would do most, if not all of what you described.
    Thanked by 1sickseo
    I'm gonna have to try that and see if I can get it set up correctly. I've played with windows task scheduler before but never used it for gsa ser. Thanks for that.
  • Dang, 100 installs? Here i thought running around 40 was tough.  can't Imagine 100.
  • sickseo said:
    I'm gonna have to try that and see if I can get it set up correctly. I've played with windows task scheduler before but never used it for gsa ser. Thanks for that.
    Better check the file extensions I listed are the correct ones before deleting everything, I am just going off memory ;)
    I can not find any files that resemble those mentioned above. I've looked in program files and app data directories, I think they are the only 2 folders that has GSA SER data in them.

Scripting in perl is a little over my head, but I did find some free software that deletes files on a schedule, so just need to know which files to delete now.
  • rastarrrastarr Thailand
    I think these would be the files and location you're after @sickseo

Thanked by 1sickseo
  • Yep sorry they should be in your AppData/Roaming/... . They should be named 'projectname'.extension. I think it might just be .hosts_done and .urls_done that can be deleted to mimic a 'delete target url cache' and 'delete target url history'. I can't remember if .success stores verified links or not, so maybe just copy that somewhere else to start with and see if it makes a difference. .targets files store what urls the project will try to submit to next, so is another way of feeding urls to your projects if you get into scripting things.
    Thanked by 1sickseo