Skip to content

Not able to update

Hi,

I have version 14.77. When I got new update of 14.78,14.79 then I tried to update. But unfortunately it gave me attached error. When I am seeing desktop shortcut of ser then it disappeared. Due to this reason, I checked program file folder of ser then I am seeing internet shortcut of SER and there is another exe file available called Search_Engine_Ranker_old (it is working). I did not understand what is going on. Please guide.

Tagged:

Comments

• Below it folder in program files..
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    You are probably using some odd anti virus checker thinking that this is an infected file (it's not!). Try to deactivate it or try to whitelist it.
  • I am using ESSET Internet security(license version) and it if fully updated.
  • Hi Sven,

Yes after pause protection, I am able to update it. But why suddenly it is treating just like this? Because I have been using ESSET since 2 years. Anyway what I need to whitelist?
    ESSET is one of the worst protections in my eyes (not many good out there anyway).
    Let me tell you why: All they do is taking any of the found viruses/trojans in the wild and build a signature (usually first few bytes in entry points of executable) and tell you that every executable having that same signature is that same virus/trojan.
    Thats of course just stupid and not working anymore. In fact it's not working for many years.
    But why is our executable looking like a virus you might ask? Because we are probably using the same technics to protect our executable from crackers as others from anti virus.
    A known problem but there was actually a solution for it called TAGGANT but almost no anti virus system added support for it so it was removed from many commercial protections. Now there are new plans for a system to prevent false detections. Though I don't expect it to happen soon as each anti virus product is working on there own level and want to squeeze every cent out of the customer.

They say its a virus and so you think it is. There business is fear and making money out of that.
  • Hi Sven,

Thanks for updating. Again today morning I hit same issue. Could you tell me how to get rid of this issue?
    I have released an update where ESSET is no longer false interpreting the executable. Please download the demoversion from the homepage.
  • Hi Sven,
    I opened ticket to ESET. They took my remote desktop and problem resolved. Thanks for helping.
    wow I would never have expected that. A anti virus company doing real support!
    Forgive me my ignorance/irony on this. Im glad you fixed it.
    Thanked by 1git