Skip to content

Named Domain or WWW?

Hey, GSA pplz.......

Wondering: Which is best? In terms of SEO, specifically.

I tend to use naked domain because I feel it looks nicer, but if using WWW would give a site a boost or otherwise benefit somehow, SEO-wise, I'm all for changing my domain set-ups.

I notice, upon checking out the GSA's site that www is preferred, even here.  As does Amazon. As does Ebay.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    www might be a visual thing only. If your eyes flow over a text and wee www. in front of a string, it will instantly recognize it as a webpage where a string without www. and a random top level domain might not be seen that easily.
    For that reason I would prefer www. over none-www.
    But I don't think it will have an influence on ranking.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • adding www looks old school. As Sven says, it will not make any difference. May be choose the naked domain?
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    "adding www looks old school."

very true. I know Sven has a good point.

I always liked that if a user was hand-typing the URL, it would be fewer characters (for them to get wrong!). :p

If it doesn't matter for SEO, though, I don't care too much. :)

I guess new sites I can put as www  but what's up as naked domain I'll just leave then.

@Sven and @KasunPerera, thanks for your input! :)
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited May 2020
    " If your eyes flow over a text and wee www. in front of a string, it will instantly recognize it as a webpage where a string without www. and a random top level domain might not be seen that easily."

Thinking about this and this is true.

I usually write:

instead when referring to the website in text. Do you think htt p:// is widely/universally recognized by now or not really?

Hmm...and if you think this isn't something ppl would understand, I can still put the www.domain.tld on real-world marketing materials and online marketing for users to find web site as it does redirect to naked (as should be the case).

This is worth thinking about. Thank you.