Skip to content

SSL Certificates: Entire Site SSL Or Pages?

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
edited May 2020 in Other / Off Topic
Hi, all! :) Hope everyone is having an OK time these days.

I was wondering: How does G00 see an SSL certificate?

Let's postulate that not all certs are the same in the eyes of the SEs.

Well, what about their implementation? Let's say comparing similar levels of SSL certification across similar domains...

Will a site that's entirely SSL be given more credit, in terms of SSL, than a site that has it only for form pages?

In other words, if a site has a very high-end SSL that proves the domain is backed by a legitimate business, but the SSL is used sparingly, will that site still be marked as having SSL, as even one HTTPS page proves the site has that accreditation?

Just trying to make sense of the whole SSL issue. Every little SERP boost counts and want to unlock the most boosting power possible!  ;)

Comments

• KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    edited May 2020
    It seems to me that when you use SSL, your whole site is under SSL. Normally you have to make a htacces redirection to Https in order to avoid making duplicate content with the HTTP version.
    I think that the more your site respects the instructions of the search engines, the more they will love you. If you protect visitors from Google, it will love you. Why would you want to make unprotected pages? does it make sense if not educational?
    When to know if 2 SSL of different quality can make a difference I do not know, if it is the case it will surely be tiny. As much focus on SSL first price, W3c test and speed test.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    "It seems to me that when you use SSL, your whole site is under SSL. Normally you have to make a htacces redirection to Https in order to avoid making duplicate content with the HTTP version."

I have to admit I forgot to do this! I had redirects on every page .htaccess for .www to resolve to naked domain, but that's it.

"I think that the more your site respects the instructions of the search engines, the more they will love you."

Very clear and simple way of putting this all. Thanks!!! :)

"Why would you want to make unprotected pages?"

I guess I liked having the extra header data you get with http?

"When to know if 2 SSL of different quality can make a difference I do not know, if it is the case it will surely be tiny."

If it translates into even one slot in SERPs, it can be very worth it, though. Maybe you mean it's not even that significant, potentially?
  • KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    "If it translates into even one slot in SERPs, it can be very worth it, though. Maybe you mean it's not even that significant, potentially?"

I meant that you can save more space easily in less time by focusing on other aspects.
    For example I see a lot of people who analyze the competitors' site but do you think that number 1 does it? I do not think so. It is good to analyze and understand, but you also have to keep time to develop your own strategy that others will also have to understand afterwards.
    Try to comply as much as possible with Google's directives, but don't be afraid to innovate  ;)
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee