Skip to content

"Import Site Lists" and "Import Target URLs"

edited March 2013 in Need Help
Aloha folks,

I am hoping someone can help me with using these import functions.

So, the "import target urls" function when you right click on any given project, imports a list of urls into that project and then prossesses them for that project. That much I have done.

However, before I use the "import site lis" function (options>advnaced>tools), I just want to be clear. If I import a list into "verified", will that list then go into my verfied list folder, and then if I have verfied links checked for my global options on a project it will then use them. Is that how it works?

Comments

• royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    I think import target urls is only used for a specific project whereas import site list are used by all projects which have global site-list checked.
  • I figured that may be the case. Anyone know 100% for sure?
  • When you right click a project and choose 'import target urls', it imports a list into the chosen project(s) only.

When you 'import urls (identify platform and sort in)', via advanced, in the options screen, it imports into your global site lists 'identified' folder, not verified. 

Identified is where newly identified urls are stored. Submitted is where urls which the program has been able to submit to are stored. Verified is where urls which the program has actually found your link on are stored.
  • Thanks doubleup - that cleared it up nicely for me
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @DarrenHaynes - a neat little tip for you, to speed it up, is to import directly into T2 or T3 projects. This way, it sorts on the fly and SER is still posting. If you just import sitelists, everything stops while you sort. 
  • To elaborate on what @AlexR said...

Doing the "Import URLs" option is PAINFULLY SLOW!!

You are much better off doing the "Import Target URLs" and importing the list(s) into a specific project. Sure, that list of URLs will only be used for that project...initially. The URLs will go through the same process that all others do - they will be indentified, submitted, & verified (into you Global Lists). So, when that project is done processing all those URLs, they will be available in your Global Lists just like they would have been had you imported them there.
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    You guys @alexr @davida2 are giving away all the good stuff!
  • ronron SERLists.com

I'm glad to see it brought up again, this time as a thread, because it will help a lot of people. Good job guys. :)

@LeeG brought this up a couple of months ago but I think a lot of people just glossed right over it (because it was in the middle of one of his now famous monologues).

• This should be added to the FAQ.  Doing it this way is so much quicker
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    @ron - Not me, I took that to heart and haven't done it the "wrong" way since!
  • @davbel agree. I had no idea how long it would take to import the url's until I tried it. This suggestion would have been a big time saver. Many thanks @AlexR, @DavidA2 and @LeeG!
  • ronron SERLists.com

Yeah Brandon, some of us have learned to read every line. There's gems everywhere.

I think @DavidA2's answer should be dropped into the FAQ. It was the clearest, most concise explanation. +1

• @DavidA2 thank you for this excellent explanation. 
  • Thanks for the great tips guys.

I just signed in here to see that this thread had become even more useful :-)

The lists I did have, I imported them through the painfully slow option. Which wasn't too bad, I just let them rip through the night. But the advice here will be a real time saver from here forward.