Skip to content

Understanding Majestic Trust Flow and Topical Trust Flow

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
edited November 2019 in Other / Off Topic
OK. This is something I'd like to ask the experts on here, b/c I've discussed this with a few people offering expired domains and everyone has slightly different ideas. In the end, we're not trying to get a high TF, unless selling links on a site (which is against G! rules, anyway!) or other purposes where your buyer would be impressed by this metric...and most consumers don't even know what a Majestic Trust Flow is. It sounds like something having to do with how people trust royalty?? :|

I notice:

-The Majestic TF is a function of how high the TF is that's inbound via links.  So if you have a link that has a TF of 40, the TF will gbe reflected in your site's TF, but will be lower.

-To get a higher TF, you need more than one inbound link with high TF.

-Can your trust flow EVER exceed the TF of inbound links..let's say you have 1 15 TF link. Or 2. Or 3. Or 4. Etc. Can the algo on that site ever make a site get  higher TF  than the highest individual site's TF the site has coming inbound via link?

Topical Trust Flow:

This metric, if you glance too quick, might seem to read "Tropical Trust Flow." Something to do with hurricanes in the paradise of the Caribbean? No; it's TOPICAL. As in, which topics those sites have links tracing back to "seed" authority sites Majestic ranks as the authority on a given topic.

-I notice the topical TF is entirely dependent on the TF of the inbound links. So, if you trace a site with ANY TF back, eventually you find a site Majestic has deemed to have "authority" on that topic.

-A site can be all about apples, but if the inbound links are from sites about cameras and dogs, the TOPICAL trust flow will reflect THOSE sites eventually linking back down the chain to an authority site on pets and electronics.

So...

Some issues I have with this...Does Majestic, in deciding some sites are "seed" authorities for a given topic, correlate with Google's vision of the world?

Which matters more to SEs? What  a site is about? Or what the sites pointing at your site are focused on more important? (That it has SOME importance correlates with the idea that T2,T3,etc. can affect a KW)

Is this Topical Trust Flow metric at all useful? And if so, are there limitations?

Like if a site has a high Majestic topical TF for let's say....News/Directories. And the site is assigned a TF of 52 for "directories". BUT...the directories all focus on Tulsa, OK., and your site is about Detroit, Michigan.

Does having a high topical TF for "news/directory" do ANYthing for the site's rank IRL? Or, does it just look pretty to people who you want to show that the site has clout, so they  decide to advertise in your directory for a fee? (You can always direct them to Majestic's 1-free-try to see for themselves)

Comments

• DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited November 2019
    No responses on here...but I do have some new thoughts and observations on the matter:

Can the algo on that site ever make a site get  higher TF  than the highest individual site's TF the site has coming inbound via link?

Apparently, yes. If there are 400 sites with TF of 10, I've seen that ascribed TF can be higher than 10 on the site they're pointing at. (But that's comparing the page on your site being linked to the page -AND- the link pointing at your site. The TF of the domains containing those URLs pointing to the site in question STILL have higher TF that your page. I guess that makes sense.  But then, is the higher TF on your page a function of thr higher domain TF, or the additive effect of the lower TFon the pages with links? )

Some issues I have with this...Does Majestic, in deciding some sites are "seed" authorities for a given topic, correlate with Google's vision of the world?

I think that this must be based on SERPs. Seeing what websites Google respects. That is "Google's vision of the world." I can't seem to find the info on Majestic's site.

only this:

"Trust Flow, a trademark of Majestic, is a score based on quality, on a scale between 0-100. Majestic collated many trusted seed sites based on a manual review of the web."

What is a "manual review of the web?" Google is PART of the web. I know Majestic bots are used to create and update their database, but (crucially) do the bots look up KWs on Google to help get TF for seed sites? If not, then I don't get it...Then again, it's not supposed to reflect only Google. It never says that, and there are different SEs with different results. The other SEs are also part of the web. So I am guessing no; it's strictly determined by linking.

Which matters more to SEs? What  a site is about? Or what the sites pointing at your site are focused on more important? (That it has SOME importance correlates with the idea that T2,T3,etc. can affect a KW)

It looks to me, after a little bit of testing, that a link can pass weight  to your site even if the intermediary site is not about what you're passing through. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So what's ON a linking  page can matter. What's pointing AT THAT linking page can matter. If you have one, and not the other, that's still ok. Ideally, both...

Like if a site has a high Majestic topical TF for let's say....News/Directories. And the site is assigned a TF of 52 for "directories". BUT...the directories all focus on Tulsa, OK., and your site is about Detroit, Michigan.

Does having a high topical TF for "news/directory" do ANYthing for the site's rank IRL?

I still don't know the answer, or even have a good guess. :(  But it is looking like the answer may be...YES...and such sites WILL help with ranking for NEWS. Why? Because even if the TOPIC or geographical location of the news is different, news carries ALL topics, for one, and for another reason, the sites pointing at that Tulsa site are mostly about NEWS or NEWS IN OKLAHOMA. Still news...But this is just a guess....

Any help with these Qs would be greatly appreciated.