Skip to content

GSA SER N/A Frequent Status

Hi Sven,

Recently, I noticed that most of the time some of my project would just be telling me N/A - No Activity.

This is often indicated by the project background being without any color (activity) change for extended periods.

This is despite the fact that the project has not reached its set Verification for the day and has lots of Target URLs remaining.

The most unfortunate part of the problem is that it may remain like that for the entire day until I turn off verification and leave it open. However, most times even after making these changes I would still need to restart SER.

After restarting, it might work some times and then go back to the same state again.

These are projects that have been for over months and this scenario just started like a week again even when no changes whatsoever were made to the project settings.

Would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Projects are endding (as no green color indicates) itself if there is nothing to do or (they are bugging out).
  • But the project still have lots of target urls and it has not reached the number of daily verifications... so that should give it a lot to do.

But instead it stays like other until, like I just did, turn the project to Inactive and then Active again and then it goes back to work.

This scenario makes leaving it unpredictable because you are not sure of the state it would be in. Frankly, it was never like.

Even when there are no target urls, it should be searching for new ones so I don't understand why the N/A states should come up.
    can you turn the logging to one of the projects only that stopped and check if there is something in the log?
  • I have deactivated and reactivated the projects so have lost the relevant log that might have details about what happened.

I will keep this in mind and check according to note if there is anything in the logs about why it is not active. Thanks.
  • It did this to me as well. I'll keep an eye on it too and report it if happens again.
  • It basically did the same over the night. I woke up this morning to find 3 out of my 4 project in this state.

There was no way for me at this moment to check the log and get back to Sven on what was in the logs as at when they stopped working.

It is really frustrating, because it has never happened like this before.

In my thinking there should be no case for the N/A to occur because I have set them to search for target urls with a long list of keywords so there is no way they can be idle.

I add scraped target urls from Scrapebox manually every now and then. Even at that they go into this state when they still have thousands of urls left to process and send.

Sven really has to look into this. Two week back I wasn't having any problem like this at all and these are projects that have been running for months with the same drip feeding settings.

Sven, kindly help out.
  • You can enable logging into a file. Mind not to let it run too long though. It can fill up your hdd.
  • Thanks TheGypsy. I'll do just that and see how it all goes.

The recent frequency of it happening now is the biggest issue I have...
  • I'm just guessing here without any hard evidence but I may something to do with the internet connection and/or number of projects running. I had a pretty high cpu usage and high combined thread usage across the programs. Since I turned off some projects in SER and the other programs are off I don't see it happening.
  • In my case, the CPU and memory is not that strong on my small 8GB RAM server.

I have Scrapebox and Platform Identifier running alongside SER. Platform Identifier can at times take up a lot of CPU and memory but for Scrapebox and SER, they are on low thread settings so do not take up so much resources. SER hardly crosses 30% CPU usage.

What I have observed from the log is that once that are no target URL for SER to use it simply goes into that N/A state.

For these projects, I have set SER to use only use Identified List and to search for target URL just from USA and UK major sites totaling 9 and make use of a long list of keywords to keep it busy.

However, once it sees no target URLs, SER now simply enters this N/A states. I think this feature is pretty new to me because the few months I have been using SER I had not noticed this particularly state.

Normally, there would a message telling you that you do not have target URLs to post to, which it doesn't do for these projects. Instead it simply stops searching.

However, once I deactivate the project and immediately activate it, it starts searching and working as normal. That is where I'm mostly disturbed. SER is supposed to be unattended to.. it is supposed to continue finding new target URLs on its own.

@Sven, do I send you the log file I have so far and see if you can help resolve this issue. Thanks.
    yes please send the log.
  • Thanks Sven,

I think the last update fixed the issue.
    Thanked by 1Sven