Clear Target URL Cache

Hi,

What is the best way to clear target url cache in GSA  ?

1.Daily 
2.Weekly
3.Monthly
Tagged:

Comments

• DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    4. Never ✔

haha I know this can get bloated. I have yet to clear even once.  :|

Does this ever happen automatically?

Is this bad to never clear? If so, please help me understand why this needs to be reset.

(besides the obvious, slowing down the program, one definite thing to avoid)

And, then, of course, back to rumeshfb's question...if it's a necessity...how often....??

• rumeshfbrumeshfb Srilanka
    I ask this question because my  Hard Disk is filling up very fast because of GSA target URL cache. normally I do it monthly. I want to know what is the best time for that. Daily ,weekly or monthly

edited July 10
    You can easily automate this task  in Windows with a batch file you write and have the system run it at set intervals you determine.

You can also make periodic backups in this way, as well as sets of timed backups (retaining like 2 day older backups, say, as wellas current) with batch files.

But again, I wonder, as you probably do, what the (other--so far we have SPEED and STORAGE SPACE--) considerations are for deleting, and thus, how frequently should it be done?  Is never really bad??? :o
    so you mean target URL cache is bad ?
    edited July 10
    Hmm...If the target URL cache were bad I don't think Sven would have put it in.

Or, it would be able to be disabled. Can it?

Maybe it becomes bad *ONLY* when it gets too bloated, because then SER has to read thru the file to find a match each time, and a longer list of URLs  means a longer scan for matches within that URL cache list. That HAS to affect time and ultimately LPM.

"so you mean target URL cache is bad ?"

I meant...was it bad to NEVER, EVER clear out the target URL cache, as I,for example, never do. lol :p

But Hard Disk memory is now going to over Its filling up faster. I have many projects in GSa for different websites. Normally When I clear target url cache I can free up too much memory
    edited July 10
    "But Hard Disk memory is now going to over Its filling up faster. "

I guess if you are facing disk storage space issues, eliminating target url cache will keep you up and running, as oppose to not even being able to run SER because your hard drive is full.

In that case, deleting makes perfect sense.  :) You get back the space on your hard disk and can operate GSA products with some storage space headroom.

Maybe there's a way to keep this file at a certain size you choose, deleting only the oldest target URLs (or certain classes of other URLs: country match, TLD match, etc), first? 

I wonder if we could do this from  within SER.
    Yes right