Skip to content

Google Slap

Comments

• The main site I'm working on is still climbing in ranks. I added tumblr, twitter and G+ automation for those social signals, seems to be helping quite a bit
  • Yeah last week lost about 10-20 positions for 4 sites now recovered stronger though. Slowed down link building a little. 
  • i just had another site slapped.  bit disturbing it's one of my better sites high quality content had just started using GSA in it in the last month tier 1 direct, 28 submissions a day using tired link building.

i got an a msg in GWT about unatural linking.  anyone get similar issues?

my other gsa sites so far are fine.

@danhoff SAPE there is some chatter in forums google slapped this network so that's prob reasons for your slap.

• ronron SERLists.com

I had one site hit, but oddly not for the main page and main keywords, but for secondary keywords on the main page, and then inner pages got clobbered. No other sites hit.

Everybody has a theory, but there is no one correct answer. And no word from Google. Which means it was a quiet new algorithm they are testing out.

Impossible to determine a solution when you really don't know the problem.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @thebadmix - "I added tumblr, twitter and G+ automation" - can you share on what tools your using here? I've been searching for a solution for a while. Also - can you recommend any for pinterest or stumbleupon? 

Regarding sites getting slapped, I've got a cross the board one drop in Google, so not sure if it's related to this, but over last few months I am thinking more and more it's from using a single adsense account or analytics account or using Google apps. No data to prove it, but really struggling to find an alternate explanation. 
  • I had one get slapped. It is now sitting around 500-600 from page 1.

No SAPE, no adsense and no analytics. Just GSA and 15 high PR posts on a blog network. The network has links to other sites I own that have not been touched so I cannot blame that or GSA (as I have other GSA sites that are fine).

Looking at what everyone is saying it seems nobody knows what the cause is and many different sites with different styles of links got hit.
  • "Yeah last week lost about 10-20 positions for 4 sites now recovered stronger though. Slowed down link building a little. "

My sites for some kws came back, for others went down .... dunno what's going on
  • ronron SERLists.com

Just reporting that the one site that got hit completely came back. Completely ridiculous why it got hit. Equally ridiculous why it just sprang back (and even stronger).

Glad I just kept doing what I was doing with SER. Anyway...

• @ron as of 5 mins ago my site came back as well ranked #5 vs #2 now but stil.  nuts.
  • one other site still penalized.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    It's not coincidence, and it's not just me. I'm sure that other one will come back.
  • I did make 1 change on my site.  I had about 8 affiliate links on the main page I was testing to see which one was clicked the most and converted.  I changed it to 3 after my penalty as I was worried I might have triggered a panda score.

The other site is still penalized (it's only a few hours since I checked) but I made no changes on that website.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Well I added more affiliate links coincidentally the night it all happened to increase conversion, and kept them. That means it was just a b.s. update with no rhyme or reason.
  • I also had 2 sites out of 3 come back today in exactly same positions as before the slap! I didn't change anything onsite or offsite on those sites!
  • google loves to frighten us !
  • my sites still down :(
  • pclwebpclweb UK
    edited March 2013
    maybe this is what you guys have.. a few of you have stated you added affiliate links.

http://www.nichepursuits.com/how-to-get-a-google-penalty-using-affiliate-links-and-how-to-recover/
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited March 2013
    I don't think it's to do with penalties.

I think these changes are more likely to be something connected with:
    a)  Matt Cutts announcing a new Panda update for this weekend...

or more likely

b)  Google tweaking SERPS to test which results give a better CTR (most likely Adwords CTR).  I read they are now performing up to 500 tests per day per data centre to try and optimise CTR.

From experience I can say that search penalties don't resolve in a day or two, they take weeks and months :D

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @davbel - sent you a pm.
  • I read something, not sure whether it was here or elsewhere that Google filed some sort of patent which basically said that sites will vary in rankings a bit and if a site drops, Google will monitor if there is any 'reactive' link building to get the site back up. If not, then the sites position will probably be restored.

It was something to do with Google trying to detect other unnatural link building methods and seo work.

So, if a site drops, don't react to it and panic, just keep doing what you have been doing and hopefully it will just come back. If you react to it, Google may detect that you are trying to game them. That's the gist of it from what I remember.
  • @davbel cheers dave, thats the one.
  • ronron SERLists.com

And that's why it's important to not change your linkbuilding tactics during a rankings downturn.

Sometimes it is hard as hell not to freak out. Many react by taking their foot off the accelerator. Bad move. 

• BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro

• ronron SERLists.com

Then of course Cutts announces that a bigger and badder Penguin is coming very soon, and another bigger and badder Panda this week:

http://www.seroundtable.com/smx-search-police-matt-cutts-duane-forrester-16480.html

(toward the bottom of the article)

Buckle up!

• Just curious has anyone recovered from a google webmaster tools unatural linking warning?  i've never managed to recover from one of them.
  • na. and I would be VERY agitated if 30 submissions/day of article/social network would trigger that on my projects..
  • just imported 7.5m unique url for directly money site
    from previous urls i have 25k submitted 3.5k verified

lets see what will happen :)
  • @thisisalex Got a site with 10 submissions / day of contextual links. Tanked for a week now.
  • spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
    edited March 2013
    Is there any truth / source for the claim that Unnatural link warning is sent manually after a manual review by google, and it not automated as one would assume?