Why are some characters in German and Polish showing up as Question marks?

DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
Long time, no post. :|

It seems as though it's the "special" characters (that aren't part of English) that have this issue.

They used to appear, intact.

These question marks that substitute for characters are now visible in both the Project view pane as well as in Test Screen.

Anyone can offer any help as to why this happened, and how this might be resolved?

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    have you edited the project file manually?
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited June 11
    Sven, I haven't manually edited anything.  :(

    It's all projects that seem to do this with the substituting of the ??s now.  :(

    Last time I checked, everything looked good.

    What else could it be?
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    OK, I changed one of the question marks to a Polish character and re-saved.

    Re-loaded project, and the change remains.

    So,firstly, I guess I'd like to know how to avoid this in the future.

    Also, how can I easily look in an older GSA (projects) backup and extract ONLY the Project content?  I havent' done this, ever. I was thinking, backup the projects as they are.

    Then load an older project backup until Ifind a date that is OK. Copy those project files to another place.

    Re-load the newest (defective) projects.

    Copy/overwrite the .articles files.

    (!!!!!!!!!TEST_FAILED_TARGETS_.articles and all files with this suffix would need replacing.)





  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited June 11
    Wait. It's not the articles but rather the project "content" (Description 250,450, Titles,etc.) in Polish and German ONLY.

    So .article files would not need replacement...what WOULD I then replace? 
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited June 11
    It's the

    AppData/Roaming/GSA Search Engine Ranker/Projects/!!!!!!!!!TEST_FAILED_TARGETS_.prj

    file that needs replacement. (!!!!!!!!!TEST_FAILED_TARGETS is just the name of my project for anyone who never checked out these files before!) :p

    BUT...it looks a lot like the articles in English may have weird characters as well, when I check the file. :(

    I have to compare an older project. Looks like it, tho.....


  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    yes, you need to replace the *.prj file.
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    OK. I have to get to this right away.

    Yeah; I was just having time to get back into learning GSA stuff, so this is still learning, just not what I had planned. lol

    Sven, what could have caused this?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Accepted Answer
    only a change to the files done outside SER.
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    Thanks for the info, Sven.

    It's weird. Def should NOT have happened. 



    Kind of interesting...
  • Encoding can be pain in the ass... i love python for the unicode :)
    Thanked by 1Deeeeeeee
  • DeeeeeeeeDeeeeeeee the Americas
    edited August 27
    Finally getting to this task after waaay too long...took a long Summer semi-vacation. lol

    Seems my backups are similarly corrupted...Now looking for some older backups I have on sticks!

    Worst case scenario, my German and Polish translations are on yet another drive (and still intact), but I have to then replace each in the .prg files by hand! Well, whatever works. :|

    (Slowly) learning some German; I don't know what was more fun...the mystery of the non-English characters...or finally knowing what some of them mean! :p 8-)
Sign In or Register to comment.