Skip to content

VPS vs Own Computer

edited March 2013 in Other / Mixed
I've been a student of SEO for a long time (call me a perfectionist and I want to know it all before I drop my $) but I just invested in some GSA products (SER, CB, SEO Indexer). I was wondering what type of difference there is from a VPS and a home connection? As far as the numbers of submissions being made? Having a 20mbps/5mbps line at home (I consistently get 16mbps/4mbps) is it worth it?

I'm more just wondering if the net speed makes that big of a difference on link building speed (I know having good proxies also but let's just assume the ones I use are as fast as yours). Isn't there a point where SER can't work as fast as the bandwidth provides info?

Comments

• davbeldavbel UK
    edited March 2013
    @saga I have the same questions too about bandwidth/connection speed.

I'm running SER with Captcha Sniper on a WHS2011 box that runs on an oldish E6600 cpu and 4Gb ram.  My connection is 30mbps/10mbps that is consistently at 27/9mbps.

I'm running 10 private proxies with 18 projects over 10 campaigns (some with up to 3 tiers) and after tweaking SER I'm getting an average of 40k subs and 3-6k verified each day.

To achieve this the CPU is pretty much at 100% with 50 threads running and I'm at the point where I don't think I can squeeze anymore out of my current setup and I'm not sure if it's proxies, my server or my connection which is the bottle neck...
  • royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    @davbelo

Do u only use that 10 private proxies, or u also use public ones ?

I have a I7 2006k sandy bridge cpu running at 3.6 Mhz on a 50 / 5 line
    I have 100 private proxies which i mixed up with public proxies.
    I have around 30 project s

I can push it to 1000 threads but for some reason i hardly ever utelise more than 2 MB download and 700 k upload.
    Could this be because of the  proxies, and should i only use the private ones .

I am also running Ultimate demon at 60 threads, Capcha breaker, GSA Indexer, Outlook and normal day to day stuff.
  • mixing private proxies with public ones?? very veeery bad idea... if you have 100 priavte proxies all your ip problems are solved man why you using publics.....
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited March 2013
    @royalmice I just use the 10 private proxies - Makes a massive difference. I used to run the public ones and could push the threads up to 500 which it only ever hit when it was verifying, but then the threads were at single figures when it was searching / posting.

My combined traffic is about 10-12Mbps

• royalmiceroyalmice WEBSITE: ---> https://asiavirtualsolutions.com | SKYPE:---> asiavirtualsolutions
    Thanks for the feedback
  • ronron SERLists.com

I have Comcast Burst at home which gives me 36Mps/6Mps when all goes well. The problem with home cable is that you share bandwidth with neighbors, so 3:00pm the kids get home it sucks, and then 6:00pm people get home from work, and that sucks too.

Regardless, I'm making about 150k-200k links per day. 30 semi-privates from buyproxies.org. Don't run GSA Indexer while you run SER. It will suck every ounce of internet connection bandwidth and SER will greatly suffer. Pick a time once or a few times a week where you don't run SER and maybe do project maintenance, and run GSA Indexer by itself.

• I think I'm going to try increasing the number of proxies and see if that helps
  • It cant be cpu, or ram........

I measure my @home-servers resourrces..

Limiting factor here are my private DOWNLOAD-Speed of my 16mbit dsl connection....... (UPLOAD somehow is not limiting....)

never thought that that would be the  case.

Some days, I have 20-30 gig traffic, and I am not pumping out that many links like ron/leeG...

For Hardware ressources:

I even "downgraded" to 4 Gig ram..... onym server.

saves 2 watt of energy ;-)

got some kind of intel i5 quadcore 3,3 ghz cpu.. techi days are long gone, so I dont recall the number.

running 100 threats. more gets ser unstable. cpu-time is at best 30% with ser/cb/cs3x..

but, In the long run, If I make the first ROI with SER i will switch to a VPS.
  • but back to @saga: if your connection is not shared, and you dont run SER on an Pentium 4 2 gig ram old laptop. I would not invest ne money..
  • If i were you saga, i’d go with the home PC option, assuming your PC is powerful enough. My old PC use to struggle on 100 threads, which is why i moved to VPS, then dedi, and now i’ve put together a new PC at home for use with GSA. My home internet connection is being upgraded next week, as at the moment it’s only 10Mbps/1Mbps, but even on this i can do 300 threads, and push out >250 LPM.  A far cry from the > 400 LPM i was getting on the dedi, but this will come once things get sorted. 
  • I b et you could do 250LPM with 150 threads tooo ...........
  • edited March 2013
     Hey ron

Just wondering what approach you are using for GSA indexer when you only run it once in a while.... I have indexer on a separate computer but am finding it not so smooth to export links and then import into indexer and run all this on a schedule etc... The nice thing about SER is you set it up right and check it few times but nothing in required for you to do. Do you have a system for indexing?
  • @thisisalex Is that how many you're running whilst on the hunt for your first ROI?
  • ronron SERLists.com

@ranknow - Just do it once a week. Tier 1 is the biggest priority. Then Tier 2. If you start rolling everything in the Indexer, and depending on how many links you make per day, it will take forever. Prioritize. Make sure you check which ones are indexed using scrapebox and public proxies. You don't want to put things in Indexer that are already indexed...waste of resources.

For me, everything first goes via API to Lindexed.

• davbeldavbel UK
    edited March 2013
    @thisisalex it's def the CPU that's the bottleneck :-(

I'd made some more tweaks based on @ron's post (Thanks :-)) in one of the other threads and yesterday I got it running set at 130 threads, which it ran at pretty solidly, occasionally dropping as low as 60-70 depending on what it was doing.

Late last night, I added the additional 10 proxies to take it 20 in total and that has completely maxed it :D

It's still running at 130 threads, sometimes dipping to 120-125, but never lower and so far today, it's submitted 65k links, which is pretty much a full day's submission and just 11am UK time :D

The only downside is that since adding the extra proxies the CPU has flat lined at 100% and the core temp is about 85C which is not good - it's been like this for about 11 hours - eek!

My options as I see them are get a new CPU, which will be difficult as it's a socket 775 mobo and I don't think Intel make socket 775 processors any more, although I have seen a 2nd hand Q6700 quad core on ebay for about £40, or I can get a new server - I've seen one based on the 8 core AMD Fx8350 with 8Gb for about £300...

Or I can go the VPS route, but from reading other threads and my own experience with emailing a couple of hosts, seems like a lot of potential hassle.
  • edited March 2013
    I went with the AMD Fx8350 & 16GB route just last week, and the thing handles GSA SER no problem at all. If you've got a good enough internet connection, i'd go with the home solution rather than a VPS.
  • did some further tests. reducrd e cpu cores from four to one in bios.. no big difference when running 100 threads.. but !! i cant run gscraper with more than 50 threads now.. result.. check your hardware and monitor.. bigger is not always better.
  • sorry, I was wrong: Gscraper somehow was on "high priority".. After is set it to "normal", the machine is running smooth again.
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited March 2013
    @doubleup yeah I think sticking with the home solution has to be the winner.  The only benefit I can see with VPS is bandwidth, but as I've got fibre, that's not really an issue.

I think I'm going to go the AMD route and with an SSD and another copy of WHS 2011.

Are there any limitations in moving SER between PC's e.g. one move per month?  If not, I think I might move it to my desktop until the new server arrives just to give the old one a bit a of a rest - it could be
    me, but the CPU fan sounds a bit wheezy after running flat out for 22 hours solid :-)
  • ronron SERLists.com

I have a similar set-up to @doubleup, AMD quad, 64 bit, 8 Gb ram. Absolutely no problem at all.

It makes a ton of sense to build it yourself, or give a kid $100 who knows what he's doing to build it. You save a crapload of money, and will have a pc that rules the world.

• davbeldavbel UK
    edited March 2013
    @ron 20 years ago I would have been that kid :D
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Yeah I know, so I have my kid build mine and give him $100. :D
  • edited March 2013
    @ron , did you go with the dedi/vps solution or are you keeping the home setup?

I am running GSA at home on a fiber connection. I may get a new box with the AMD Fx8350 like you guys did. 
  • Definitely gonna build my own. Thanks for all the info on specs you guys have/are running. I broke 50k submitted today with 100 threads and 22 projects. This on my meager everyday laptop so I know I could really crank some stuff out with a better box.
  • ronron SERLists.com

I am completely at home doing this. Just make sure you have a decent internet connection.

This is just my opinion, but I think the optimal setup for SER is 4 cores with a minimum of 4Gb Ram.

Don't forget, as you go further and further into this, your SER file gets bigger and bigger. Eventually you need to buy a new SER and get an additional PC. When you get to that point, you can easily afford it. If not, then you are a complete moron and deserve to burn at the stake.

Just kidding...but not really. :)

• Don't load up too many keywords to save memory.

no high thread count is needed too.. if 50 or 100 threads does not make that much difference here,
  • btw for the @home guys:

Anyone of you have any bandwith limitations?
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited March 2013
    Just ordered the AMD FX8350, mobo, 8Gb DDR3 1833 Ram, Samsung 840 120Gb SSD and WHS2011.  Worked out a bit cheaper to build it myself so that'll be my Saturday taken care of... :D

@thisisalex I have fibre that runs at a solid 27mbps down and 9mbps up on an unlimited bandwidth package, so no issues for me.
  • then surely a self built pc with 20 proxys is better.. i envy your connection...
  • davbeldavbel UK
    edited March 2013
    For those of you thinking about building your own PC based on the FX8350...

Don't rely on the stock processor fan.  I literally can't hear myself type - 6250 rpm is noisy :-)

Also, if you plan on going down the WHS2011 route, make sure you have a drive that is 160gb min otherwise you'll end up having to install everything to another drive and then copy it across to your 120gb SSD :D