Skip to content

Backlink checkers - are they accurate?

spunko2010spunko2010 Isle of Man
edited February 2013 in Need Help
Hi all :) One of my keywords has been updated in Google SERPS and I have moved to position 4, thanks to SER no doubt :) However, I see in position 2 a new competitor that I've never heard of. I checked it our for backlinks on Backlinkcheck.com and it has 0 - not to the homepage even, let alone deep links which is what appears in Google SERPS for my keyword. I am confused by this, it cannot be an authority domain as it's 6 months old with no credible backlinks (only indexers , trakcbacks, WHOIS etc). What's the deal? Their on page SEO and domain don't appear to hold any more juice than my site. The only assumption is, it's going to drop right out maybe. Is there another way I can check backlinks that I'm not aware of?

Comments

• Check on ahrefs.com
    They index new backlinks very fast.
    Your competitor might have links which aren't showed on Backlinkcheck.com
  • Says 0 on their also, for the homepage and the deeplink :-S
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Then its probably a 301 of an older established domain to their new domain.
  • But @ron the original url would still show up in the serps. Then when you click on it it would 301 to new domain
  • Anyway spunko, your position 4 is good. I would just carry on with your campaign regardless.
  • Some private blog networks block link checking services from crawling so that subscribing competitors can't analyze the links.
  • ronron SERLists.com
    Don't worry spunko, you'll take him down. Just amp up your underneath tiers for the death kill.
  • Ron, I am planning tier 2/3 updates tomorrow :)

So just to make a brief list of what other factors google might be looking at:

1. Page speed
    2 Age of domain
    3. How long domain is registered for
    4. Local domain/country specific
    5. good on site SEO

Only point 4) works in their favour... I will keep trying :)
  • Also.. One other thing regarding 301s, what I normally do is check on Archive.org to see if their link structure changed in the past, then do a backlink check for those old style URL(s) and see what it brings up. Not sure if anyone knows of other methods besides that and just plain old googling?