Skip to content

A bug with %random_anchor_text% command

edited February 2013 in Need Help
Hello,

I have found that if you inssert the macro {|<a href="%random_url%">%random_anchor_text%</a>} inside your content in GSA it grabs a random URLs as it should do, but the anchor text, even if it is random, doesnt follow the secondart setting for anchor (i.e Use generic anchor text, Use domain as anchor text and so on). All the anchor texts that are grabbed are those from the "anchor text" field and no alterations/modifications are made to it according to the settings that I have described you.

Any help on this?

Thank you for your time

Comments

• Please Sven check this.

On article body put

<a href="%url%">%anchor_text%</a>
    <a href="%random_url%">%random_anchor_text%</a>

Insert some URLs in URL field and hit test

What you will notice is that in first case the anchor will change in order to have anchor text, secondary anchor text, genertic anchor text and domain name as anchor text.
    In the second text you will have only anchor text for the corresponding filed. No secondary anchor text, no generic anchor text, no domain name as anchor text. This is surely a bug.

Could you please fix this bug Sven?

Thank you for your time
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    Hmm I don't see this as a bug really. Thats the way how I wanted it :/
  • Thank you for your answer Sven,

Isn't any other way to have the effect that I want, i.e random anchor texts that will obey on the "anchor text settings"?

RIght now the full potential of <a href="%random_url%">%random_anchor_text%</a> cannot be unlocked cause the anchor text is chosen only by the anchor text field and not also from the rest fields/settings of anchor text.

Thank you for your help

Im still not sure if I should change this to your logic as many poeple want the random_anchor_text as defined in anchor-text field an not being modified.
  • edited February 2013
    If you dont want to change the functionality of this command, is it possible to add a new command that will do what I describe? I think that it is very important to have something like this because it creates much more variety of anchor texts for the rest of our URLs. Inserting <a href="%random_url%">%random_anchor_text%</a> was a major breakthrough because from that time we could have more URLs inside an article that are random in URL and anchor. In order to better serve this logic we need the anchor text variety that is offered through the different settings of GSA. I reallhy hope and prey you insert this functionality in GSA soon, as I have paused my projects until then :-)

Thank you for your time
    i wrote it down and will work on that the next days
  • lol @kostas so dramatic

@sven a possible solution for this is create new macros %secondary_anchor_text% and %generic_anchor_text%

so he can use something like <a href="%random_url%">{%random_anchor_text%|%secondary_anchor_text%|%generic_anchor_text%}</a>

easy and simple.
    Next version will also modify random_anchor_text and random_url according to the settings.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Or you could use "random_sanchor_text" and it grabs a secondary anchor which doesn't have any of the generic anchor texts. Works great for sentences like

I like "random_sanchor_text" and you should check out <a href="%url%">%anchor_text%</a> for more info on "random_sanchor_text" . 

This way, you always get related words in the correct place and GSA just updates %url% and %anchor_text% to the relevant % settings.