Skip to content

Avoid Posting On Same Domain Twice

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited February 2013 in Need Help
If I have this option enabled in a project, does it mean domain or subdomain?

If domain, would it be possible to have option to change it to subdomain?

Thus, I have 5 target URL's for a blog comment:
1) site1.wordpress.com/page1
2) site1.wordpress.com/page2
3) site1.wordpress.com/page2
4) site2.wordpress.com/page1
5) site3.wordpress.com/page1

In some projects:
1) I want it to post a blog on each of these URL's except on the same PAGE. (i.e. site1, page2) I just don't want a long list of duplicate comments on the same page.
2) Only post once on the domain. If I enable "Avoid Posting on Same Domain" will it only post to one of the .wordpress.com sites? Or will it see the site1,site2,site3.wordpress.com as different?

If I ena

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    domain means the website you are about to post to.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    So just to check if I DON'T have this enabled and I clear target URL cache and target URL history, it just resubmits even if I already have a link there?
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    edited February 2013
    Why would you NOT have this enabled???
    @LeeG - I think I read somewhere that you disabled this?
  • SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    It will not post to that site if the link is on the same url already, else yes.
  • I have this option enabled on my T1's  on my T2's and T3's I turn this option off.
  • ronron SERLists.com

@hunar is right. From an seo perspective, you want as many different domains linking to your moneysite as possible.

When it comes to T1 and T2, links coming from the same domain - but on different pages - does have a benefit. It is just not as powerful as links coming from different domains.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron & @hunar
    T1 - are these links to moneysite? (just everyone has a different definition of T1) 

As @Sven says "It will not post to that site if the link is on the same url already, else yes." So it seems he's saying whether it's on OR off, if it finds your URL on the page, it skips it. 
    This is a domain setting, not a page setting. So it only applies to posting on DOMAIN more than once if enabled. 

@ron & @hunar
    So why are you guys enabling it for T1? 
    a) It's not like an extra link on a different page will cost you or you will get punished if you have more than 1 link from a set domain to your moneysite. 
    b) If enabled, for hundreds & thousands of possible links (i.e. all the T1 links you ever identify), you have SER using resources to do this check...that's why I don't see the value of it. That's millions of checks that happen over time. So I guess you must have a VERY big reason not to want one or two links from the same domain but from different pages. I'm now curious why!??
  • ronron SERLists.com

@GG - There shouldn't be any confusion about T1 with others. T1 links directly to the moneysite. You may have other links built directly to your moneysite that are not a part of a tiering scheme - meaning you don't have links underneath them. But on a diagram they are still at a T1 level if you know what I am saying.

It has to do with the definition of quality vs. bulk. I only want quality on T1. There is no need for links coming from the same domain. I'm not blasting a zillion T1 links to my moneysite. And I will never run short of targets if I take my approach on T1 using SER to build links - even if I do this for the next 10 years straight.

But T2 and higher on the other hand is a different story. It will become increasingly difficult over time to find new targets just due to the sheer volume of SER linkbuilding. There is some marginal value for links from the same domain on a different page. So it is worthwhile to pursue those links. In theory you could build infinite links coming from the same 10,000 domains so long as they all come from a different page on those domains.

• edited February 2013
    If you are doing bookmarks / Articles you definitely need to untick that option. The one link / one post account looks so spammy in my opinion specially in Bookmarks.

Just make sure you have decent amount of URLs & highly spun content. And untick the "use a random url ..." in project settings so SER can pick most of your urls.

Different links from the same domain pointing to DIFFERENT urls on your site ARE very useful for you as long as these links are pointing to multiple pages on your site. If i was going to promote one url then I will avoid posting more than one link on the same domain. In most cases you are targeting multiple keywords with each page on your site.

Again , you really need highly spun content with this strategy (multiple different spun Articles is preferred)  so SER can post completely new stuff each time. I would recommend using the amazing "use random content of a folder" feature for this as well.

The only thing I wish to have in this option is to have a limit for " how many posts per site ? ". Something like ( post to the same domain only X times ) because SER sometimes go crazy and post 50 times! on the same domain in one day!!!. If @Sven can do this , it will be a killer option. 

• ronron SERLists.com

What @mamadou says is also correct - it is the flipside of what I was talking about. You could have a single domain building links to different pages on your moneysite, and those are helpful as well.

But if I had a choice, and I had a 10 page moneysite, I would rather have 10,000 different domains pointing to my moneysite, rather than 1000 domains pointing to ten different pages of my moneysite. In both cases you have 10,000 links pointing to your site, but the first scenario is definitely better.

• Couldn't have said it better than Ron and Mamadou.    Exactly why I leave that option Ticked for T1 and unticked for T2 and T3.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron & @hunar - you both missed my point. 

Surely a few extra links from the same domain are not an issue and would look more natural. A site that has referenced/linked to you, is likely to do it again if your content is good. ALSO Google looks at pages primarily for PAGE rank not just domains. So is there a big downside of having more than 1 link from a domain??? (we're not talking hundreds!)  

The issue is that having this filter on, means every single URL where it is on has to get checked, which takes time. So therefore, having more than 1 link from a domain must be VERY VERY bad to spend all this time to check it all and that's what I want to find out about.... :-) . 
  • I personally don't think it's natural at all to have more than 1 link on a site.    For the T2 and T3 who cares really for me it's more so to build up my T1 link and to get my T2 Links indexed more quickly.   Now it can be argued that having multiple link come from a bookmarking site digg.com or reditt for example could look natural like multiple people posting about it  but the SER doesn't allow us to choose which platforms to get multiple backlinks from.   For example If I got blog comment links from like 20 different pages off the same domain.  That doesn't look natural to me at all.   but lets say I got multiple links from Web 2.0's  That would look more natural to me than the blog comments.   SER doesn't allow us to pick and choose where we get the multiples from.   Which to me is just fine because If I had to go through each campaign and than each T1 and choose that.  It would be a nightmare of time being spent. 

So, Since we don't get to choose. where we get these from  I'd rather have that option ticked for T1 and Off for T2 and T3.

This is just for me personally GG. If you feel you'd get better results by having that option unticked all the time by all means go for it and test it.   See if you get good results or bad results from that having that. :)
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @hunar - so you have found that having multiple links to your site from a domain is bad news or is it just a feeling? 
  • Well with all the tools i've played around with and owned.  I have owned and used pretty much all of them.   Multiple links from pages with blog comments = bad news   but multiple links from Web 2.0's  Bookmark sites can be a good thing.

I have never really given it a good test though to show that but it's basically just my feeling. 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @hunar - Been thinking about resources that's why the discussion.

1) I wonder how long it takes to check this - to see if there is an url on same domain? It just seems like another check so there must be a good reason for this. Also, as per Sven, remember that it's not on the same page, but same domain. What is your experience with this? (You said multiple links from pages with blog comments, but what about domains???) 

On a different note:

I think PR checks must be the biggest slow down for SER. It has to be the single biggest bottleneck of the tool. 

I'm running a 650 000 URL list through SB to get PR, with 25 threads (have many private proxies) and it's still days just to check the PR (like 3, running 24/7). To think that every single submission on SER needs PR checked, it must be where there is the biggest bottleneck/slowdown. Been thinking about Ron's approach of leaving PR off. Thinking of using this for tier 2's to start. 
  • I too leave PR off for T2+ My view is that
    1) not needed
    2) speeds things up
  • ronron SERLists.com

@GG - It's not that it's bad to have multiple links from the same domain. It's just a whole lot better to have links from different domains.

If you and I are in a race to rank the same word, and you take your approach and I take mine, I will win. And once at the top, if I continue to do what I do, I will stay at the top.

So no, it isn't bad. It's just about what is better.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron - I think this needs more testing. 

If you have the choice of:
    1000  unique domain links

OR
    1000 unique domain links AND
    200 extra links on pages on the above domain
    AND 100 extra links for any other project on SER due to less resources required to check this filter on every link

Which would you prefer? Because, you're still getting the 1000 unique domain links, just the filter is rejecting the extra page links and it is taking time to check. 
  • ronron SERLists.com

Well, if you put it that way, I would prefer the latter. But not by much.

My only point is different domains are stronger for seo than multiple links from the same domain. But I wouldn't worry about it as I think you understand my point. I know you're going to try and trick me by asking me if god can make a rock so big that he can't pick it up, or something like that. So I am done with this discussion :)

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @ron - not trying to trick you at all! All I am saying is that applying that filter takes resources/time and has a cost. So I want to check if benefit is better than cost. Obviously a more diverse link profile is better. 

"My only point is different domains are stronger for seo than multiple links from the same domain." - totally agree! 

It's just that applying filter means it will have found a place to place the link, take time to do the check, and then reject it if it's already got a link from that domain. I'm saying, why not just place the link, save the checking time and let SER do something else with the time saving. :-)
  • edited May 2013
    Hey @ron.

You said: "When it comes to T1 and T2, links coming from the same domain - but on different pages - does have a benefit. It is just not as powerful as links coming from different domains."

I'm planning to re-setup all my projects (including all tiers) because it seems i have a problem with my catchall. 

[why do i setup everything new?] Obviously SER can't delete read emails via pop3 when there is more than 1 connection at the same time (which is likely with 15+ projects using all the same catchall). To make this clear: I don't know if it is a SER problem or a problem of my email-provider. I think it is most likely the second.

The outcome is, i have about 10.000 unread/undeleted emails on my email account after only one night of using the catchall ... and SER of course needs a lot of time to wade through all of these emails to find the right ones. I see no other possibility than duplicating all projects, let the old ones try to verifiy for some days and set up new ones. [/why do i set up everything new]

I'm just exploring the problem with Sven (thanks alot man!), but if it is a problem with my mailserver i want to be prepared to set it all up again ..

So well, the point is that i will have fresh projects for domains where i already build like 300 T1 links and it will start from scratch. So even with "avoid posting URL on same domain twice" i will get all the articles etc. again.

Could that hurt my rankings or do i just waste some time? (i would be okay with the last..). Or is there maybe even a way to avoid that?

Best Regards