Skip to content

Tier Project Test Bug on T1's

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited February 2013 in Bugs
Not sure if this is a test bug or not but, if I have a tiered project and it says use verified url of parent project. 

Issue
On the tiered project (i.e. Tier 1), when you click test, under the anchor text field, it only shows generic anchors like "Click here" etc.

Not sure if this is just on the test window, or actually it's only using these, despite selecting use anchor of parent.

So in my test window:
"for information on %random_sanchor_text% check out SUBPAGE1 and on %random_sanchor_text% check out subpage2"

Is getting displayed as:
"for information on click here check out SUBPAGE1 and on click here check out subpage2"

THEN
In the same project, I have enabled "use generic 5%" as well as use anchor of parent. 

QUESTION:
Will it use the 5% generic or ONLY the anchor of parent...which takes precedence?

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

>On the tiered project (i.e. Tier 1), when you click test, under the anchor text field, it only shows generic anchors like "Click here" etc.

Thats normal as the verified URL with anchor is still unknown for the TEST as it does not read data from another project.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - in the same project, where I have "random_sanchor_text" it also places generic anchor text and isn't using the loaded secondary anchors.

THUS, I want the article to use the anchor text of the tier above it, (i.e. tier 0), but at the bottom I am using the "random_sanchor_text" as a token to link out to another URL, and these are not changing. They also always say "click here" or something generic. I also regularly use "random_sanchor_text" throughout the content, and it should be taking a random secondary anchor (which are very focussed). I understand that "anchor_text" will depend on the verified URL which is unknown, but secondary anchor is know since I have specified them. 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Question 2: if you use verified URL from Tier 1, and set generic to 5%, does it always use anchor from T0, or does it use the generic 5% of the time? 
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    Sorry to chase this, but does it replace the %random_sanchor_text% or not when using verified tier 0 URl's? I have quite a few projects that need to get activated as soon as I know this... 
    %random_sanchor_text% is pulled from the same project that makes use of verified URLs from another one. The %anchor_text% variable is using the anchor text from the main project if the option "Use anchor texts from the verified URL" is enabled, else the one defined in the project.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - feeling a litte slow today. Don't quite follow you when you say/lost in translation:
    "%random_sanchor_text% is pulled from the same project that makes use of verified URLs from another one."

1) So does it use the secondary anchor from Tier 0 or tier 1?
    2) If so, it is not updating in the test window. It always shows as "click here" or some generic. 
    3) If you set generic to 5% for tier 1, as well as use verified URL from another project, is it still applying the 5% generic anchor? (Just that this option is still available if you are using verified URL's from another project. 

1) tier one of course...he only data it takes from the tier0 is the verified urls...it doesn't know what else is defined there in the project data

2) see 1)

3) see 1) ;)

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - I have very many Tier 1 projects that use secondary anchors macros in the body of the content. It's how I'm diversifying my link structures. Also I use it for outlinking to authority sites in Tier 1 content. I.e. I have placed <a href="spinfile-EXTERNAL URL's>%random_sanchor_text%</a> in all my tier 1 articles.  

1) Can we have it so it uses the Tier 1 verified URL's and anchor, BUT if you have set anchor percents (like generic, or use domain URL, etc) it uses these too?
    What's the point of not being able to set these percentages for Tier 1 projects, since link spread is also very important in tier 1!? 
    I want it to use tier 0 anchor as tier 1 anchor, but still these variables/percentage spreads are very very n.b.! I want tier 1 links to have max value and avoid getting issues/flagged for poor anchor distribution!
    So if it's 5% it uses generic 5%, and verified URL's from Tier 0 the other 95%. 
    b) That the macros work if you are using them. I.e. if you add "random_sanchor_text" it will grab this from the file, since I have specified it in the project options. The verified URL from T0 should be used as the anchor, but other macros should all still work. 

OK this is all too confusing.

A Tier project is doing one (!) thing different from a normal project. It uses the verified URLs from another project instead of the own defined once. Another option let's you also use the anchor text from these verified URLs instead of the defined once in the tier project.

Yes thats it...all macros still work the same way, all % options work the same way...And Im not going to change this.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    This is quite important so I'll try and simplify.

@sven - as you said "Another option let's you also use the anchor text from these verified URLs instead of the defined once in the tier project." 

- Yes it must use anchor text from these verified URL's, BUT IT MUST ALSO obey the parameters set for generic and secondary anchor text set in the T1 project with this option enabled to ensure you have a good anchor text distribution for your T1 projects. If it ignores these and only uses anchor from T0, the anchor text distribution will be very uneven! 

I.e. if you set in a T1 project:
    1) Use Anchor Texts from Verified URL's (i.e. T0 anchor texts), 
    2) Use secondary anchor 13%
    3) Use generic 5%

ISSUE 1:
    -----------
    It should use anchors from the verified URL's, but ALSO use generic text 5% and secondary anchors 13%. This will ensure the anchor text ratio is good. 

So overall on the T1 project you may have:
    1) Generic    - 5%
    2) Secondary       -  13%
    3) Verified Anchor From T0 -   82%  (100%-5%(generic)-13%(secondary)=82%)

ISSUE 2:
    -----------
    If you have  "Use Anchor Texts from Verified URL's" (i.e. T0 anchor texts) enabled and you set a number of secondary anchors as well it's confusing generic and secondary anchors.

When you use the macro %random_sanchor_text% in the body of the content, it should take a random secondary anchor and place where the macro is. Currently it replaces the %random_sanchor_text% with "click here" or some other generic anchor which is wrong. 

Thus, in the T1 Test output it's showing:
    "for information on %random_sanchor_text% check out SUBPAGE1 and on %random_sanchor_text% check out subpage2"

Is getting displayed as:
    "for information on click here check out SUBPAGE1 and on click here check out subpage2" 

I.e. it's not taking a macro result from secondary anchor (it knows what this is because they are loaded) but the generic anchor field in T1 projects. 
  • A way to avoid this is to not use generic anchor for that project. I only "power up" my desired keywords with tiers. I don't waste time powering up generic keywords as long as they get indexed
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    It still doesn't solve the fact that in macro %random_sanchor_text% is getting replaced with generics rather than secondary anchors! This is the primary concern. 
    Thats wrong. That macro is still working even for a tier project if you entered secondary anchor text it it.
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven

1) Can you comment on Issue 1?
    2) macro problem in test window then. It shows this for around 20 projects. :-) Only shows generic anchors even when you use macro. Even if it doesn't know the verified anchor, it shouldn't use generic anchor here. Should rather say "Anchor Unknown At This Point" or something similar. 

ACTUAL TEXT:
    alt="%Anchor_Text%" title="%Anchor_Text%">%Anchor_Text%</a>

TEST WINDOW OUTPUT:
    Take a look at my site on <a href="myurl.com" alt="click through the following web site" title="click through the following web site">click through the following web site</a> for any other resources and information on <a href="http://myurl.com" alt="click through the following web site" title="click through the following web site">click through the following web site</a>.

1) yes thats already happening

2) OK will fix that for the TEST than.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - all sorted. Thanks for your patience. Projects are all set to go! :-)