Skip to content

Your experience with SER gained traffic from links on a platter please

gsa8mycowsgsa8mycows forum.gsa-online.de/profile/11343/gsa8mycows
edited June 2015 in GSA Search Engine Ranker
Hey Gentlemen

I've been running a test month in May due to my stupidity and was quite surprised with the outcome.
I've building links to bitly links, unknowing that you cannot change the target URL once you set the shortener up.
I've been monitoring the clicks that all the links received and it came out at 24000+ clicks over a Month. I assume bitly monitoring of clicks are fairly accurate as they claim to filter out crawlers and bots.

On one of my YOURLS install, there are about 1 mill clicks by now as I caught some crawlers in a redirect Loop and site keeps registering these crawlers in a loop, lol. None of these clicks led to any of my sites, because originally I wanted to build link juice to these links. Then when I realised you can't change the bitly shortened URL destination, I kept pushing these bitly links in SER just to process raw scrapes and keep the testing going.

To my surprise, one url leading to a non existing domain got over 12k clicks in over a week. The majority of test urls only have 200-500 clicks, while a few has a few thousands.

One problem with bitly monitoring is that you cannot see where your clicks are coming from accurately.

So my question is, what is your experience with traffic coming from your SER built links? Are they complaining narks? Curious visitors? Bots only?

I wonder how many of those reported clicks are GBots, Bing and Yahoo bots, and how many are ahref, majestic and rogerbot.

Comments

• IMHO, bitly stats are not accurate. On one of my sites there was a difference in stats to the tune of 30-35% between bitly and GA. So take it with a pinch of salt, 1mn clicks LOL. Even if it's a dead site with nothing putting a popup / under would have netted you $$$ (the easiest, better ways to monetise though!!)
  • gsa8mycowsgsa8mycows forum.gsa-online.de/profile/11343/gsa8mycows
    edited June 2015
    It's nothing but bot traffic stuck in a redirect loop.

Here's the picture:

http://imgur.com/YoNmPZ5

It was a result of a couple of blog comments and mass url shortening with scrapebox to these links. I thought of this as fun to see if it's possible to trap crawlers and bots in a redirect loop.

Here are the stats since creation:

http://i.imgur.com/ds74hUd.png