Skip to content

HTML TimeOut Setting

AlexRAlexR Cape Town
edited January 2013 in Need Help
I've been thinking about this setting and what is the best value.

I'm not a programmer but from a few searches it seems that it is the max time taken for a page to load. (server to respond - as per GSA SER help)

I see at the start it's 30s for like 10 threads, but on the GSA SER prompt it says "make sure to increase this number if you use many threads."

1) So my question is why do we set this so high? 
2) Why set it to 180s (3 mins)? Does this mean we're telling the program to wait up to 3 mins for a given webpage to respond?
3) If so, it would make sense to only post on pages/sites that load in under 20s. Will free up a lot of resources.

@LeeG - would love to hear what you have to say here..I'm sure you've tested and tweaked this. 
Tagged:

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de

1) More threads means that each thread might get less bandwidth to use and slows down in downloading data. So you have to increase the value to not risk a timeout.

2) yes that means if a thread sits there waiting 3 minutes and not receiving any response from the remote web server, it is considered to abort this.

3) Sure, but please keep point 1 in mind.

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven

1) Is there a way to see if we get errors due to timeout - does it appear in the log? (i.e. I want to lower the value and see how it goes)
    2) Am I correct it's per site the timeout value? So setting it to 30s would only post to sites that load within 30s right? So a thread loads a site, then waits up to 30s before aborting that url. 
    3) Does the timeout include ONLY the loading of the site OR the loading AND submission AND captcha? 
    e.g. if it loads the site in 10s, and spend 5s inputting data, and 30s on the captcha (total of 45s), will it get aborted since it has now taken a total of longer than 30s?

1) download failed maybe

2) No it waits inbetween packets received fromt he serer. As long as the server replies with just one byte the value is reset. 

3) just the loading

• AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @sven - Thanks!
  • @Sven @AlexR

if i have 50 Dedicated Private proxies, What is the best number i should to set for Thread and HTML timeout?
    i usually run 20 projects simultaneously.

Thanks

timeout should only depend on the number of threads you use. Using 60sec should be fine for most of us.

What you use as threads depends on your PC and network. I can not give you a number here...please test things.

• @bretty113
    Did you find the right HTML timeout for you?

If yes, please share.

Thank oyu
  • MrXMrX Germany
    edited November 2013
    bloupbloup you have to figure it out yourself as it depends on your personal bandwith limit.