Skip to content

Sick....Dedi's HDD died

So, my main dedi that has been running for 15 months or so, the HDD failed/died yesterday. The only solution was to get a new one. The server company had no idea what the problem was. It was running fine, then bang nothing. 

Absolutely gutted as I had moved all of my stuff from Dropbox onto the Desktop and hadn't backed up since I did that. Basically I've lost my verified list and all of the project files. I might have some left but I've been rejigging everything as my testing has shown that I needed to change things up. 

Absolutely pig sick. 

Moral of the story is: BACK UP YOUR SERVERS every day/week at least. 

Comments

• https://www.code42.com/store/
    Crashplan family - up to 10 computers, for 15 bucks a month or something like this ;)
  • Nice...sounds just what I need. My laptop is just about to go bang as well by the sounds of it. I have various Dropboxes/Mediafire and other online accounts, but will check that out as well.
  • s4nt0ss4nt0s Houston, Texas
    @satyr85 - I use that on my home PC, works good. 

@judderman - Sorry to  hear that, I've had the same thing happen in the past and it was a big hassle. Lesson learned.

Backup your important files everyone! :)
  • This is the second time....I'm obviously an idiot ;)
  • IdontknowIdontknow Romania
    edited February 2015
    I back up everything but I don't have any list to back up :) , I think you have money so you are relaxed not an idiot.
    It was a ssd not a hdd.
  • well, 15 months is kinda fast for HDD to die.
  • edited February 2015
    Double post.
  • Sorry yeah SSD - the said the drive wasn't being read and they tested it and couldn't figure it out. 

Anyway, trying to set up 100s of projects, moving all of my files (many many many GBs of files) over, which is taking forever to do.

I was planning on making a whole fresh start with a new set up in terms of creating lists and processing them, so I guess this is the perfect time....silver lining...sort of.. 
  • Sick,  Code42 is located Right by me and have a few friends that work there. :)
  • @judderman make sure you RAIDed dedi this time.  If one drive packs then you still have everything

• Ah, good shout @davbel. Will see if I can tack it onto that dedi. It would be the one dedi I use that was the main one, not the processing dedis or the spam dedis which I couldn't care if those died. 
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    Sorry to hear @Judderman! Want my list of freshly created verifieds?
  • Most of the SolidSeo servers come with RAID as standard I think
  • @Brandon ...um...yeah please :) 

@davbel I use Datashack...might be time to look into other providers. I used Solid a while back but think their prices are high for the spec, compared to my DS servers. That said, they have RAID and are cool with SER/SEO tools, so I suppose that is worth paying some 'insurance' for.
  • @Brandon if I smash my hdd can I have your list? :) 
  • BrandonBrandon Reputation Management Pro
    @judderman, send me a message on Skype or PM me your email and I'll send it over.

@idontknow pics or it didn't happen :)
  • Wooo! It turns out I did backup my verified list :) Only a couple of weeks ago. 

What a bloody stroke of luck that was. I was just tidying up some files and found it. Back to 300LPM :)

Thanks again Brandon buddy :)
  • How much VpM?
  • I verify manually ie. stop all projects, change to Active V and run it for a few hours, so I get 1,000-3,000 VPM depending on projects, but that's purely because they are all running Active V at the same time. I prefer it this way, it's a bit of babysitting but I have a little more control over link velocity and amount of links between tiers.

• Ahhh, so much luck for few..I felt that some niches were free and I start to gain 1st position but after that you find old backup and now I am lost :P

• I'm sure there there are plenty of people doing much higher LPM/VPM than me. Don't worry about it too much though, the only thing that matters is movement in the SERPs. You could do that with <100 links. It's not all about the amount, but how they're put together that makes sites rank.
  • Yes, when you have luck you can be generous...ahhh, you have all qualities, luck , generous, smart, rich...:)