Skip to content

Tactics... How many back links do I need to build to rank on a keyword?

As I mentioned on an earlier post....  I might have built too many back links to my YouTube page...  that particular page is not all that important, but I would like to get an idea on how quick I should build back links...

Say...

Keyword:  widgets
Research website rankings from that keyword..
Website  superwidgets.com has 100 back links, and has first ranking

Should I then build 101 back links to try to rank high on that keyword "widgets" without raising flags?

Comments

• I'm not really one to give advise on gsa ser because I've only owned it a week or so; however, I can say that just because a site has 100 backlinks does not mean building 101 will put you in the #1 position. 

I have a new niche I'm taking on an I noticed that a site with only 78 backlinks it out performing a site with over 500. I have personally out ranked competitor sites with far fewer links than what they had. Before you ask how, I think its a combination of many factors not just one specific reason. 
  • Thank you...

I suppose you have to build link behind the links as well... maybe domain name can come into play...

But before outranking... I want to make sure I am going to be "safe".. 
  • You could have thousands of backlinks but my 5 high quality links could out rank your position. Is all about quality not quantity.
  • Using SER for higher quality links use, articles, wikis, social network, web 2.0, video, doc share and social network. Out of all the targets you can post to, those are the more higher quality ones to focus on. You will have much better success at bringing an option to page 1.

As far as how many links, there are only 1.1 million factors in that. I won't even begin to name them as it's been repeated over and over. However, keep this in mind, if you have a domain that has a higher authority, Facebook for example, that page can take a hammer to it on links and still be ok and even rank fairly fast. If you have a new or semi new domain that has a lower authority, you need to turn back the amount of links you might target to each day.

That being said, there are always exceptions to the rule, as there is no rule. Testing is the number one approach that will give you a clear and concise answer to how to rank your properties. So my foremost advice is to go build a few Youtubes, a few Facebook pages, a few Twitter pages, etc; and write down different approaches on linking them. Run SER. Check the listings, is any of them moving in the serps? Did it rise quickly? Are links showing for it. Do some test and then when you have a fairly good skeleton of how to rank a property.. work the shit out of it. Make your paycheck.

Matt
  • About 6 months ago, Google added some sort of trigger which will remove your youtube videos from the search if you build too many links. I personally now only build web 2.0s to my youtube videos and then use GSA as tier 2.
  • it's a non-sens to ask how many backlinks you need, because the result depends their quality. One backlink from a very high authority website or page (Apple, CNN, Micosoft...) is better than thousands of bad quality links.