Skip to content

PR Settings for money site? Does PR matter anymore since google wont be updating it?

I read somewhere that google wont be updating the PR of websites anymore.  (I can try to find the link if you are interested in reading the article).

My question is do you set PR filters for links that you will be making to your money site? 

If google wont update the PR does it matter if you have PR filtering on for links to your money site?

Comments

• edited November 2014
    Google is still updating PR everyday, but only internally. 

So do public PR scores still matter? That's a bit hard to say because there is no way of knowing the actual current PR. What we can say is that it will be increasingly irrelevant in the future. 

Currently it's a reasonable indicator and IMHO by far the best metric there still is (I really have to laugh and question the sanity of anyone recommending complete waste metrics like DA and PA), but you shouldn't be blinded by PR alone. The engine type and OBL are at least equally important. 

For example, as you might know PR is logarithmic. This means a PR3 link contains 10x more link juice than a PR2 link and 100x more than a PR 1 link. Imagine it like a pipe system where every link is a pipe and passes link juice. The initial patent mentioned the 0.85 number which means you get the amount of link juice multiplied by 0.85 (15% is always lost). The current number is secret sauce, so nobody outside Google knows it. But that's not really important because you're competing on a leveled playing field (everyone loses the same amount of link juice)

Historically this was the only thing that mattered so you could pretty easily guesstimate your rankings by the amount of PR links you had divided by the amount of internal and external links there were on that specific page. This also means OBL (and internal links as well!) is important because a  link on a PR 2 page with an OBL of 1000 is worth less than a PR1 link with an OBL of 10. I guess you get the gist right?

Well currently, Google has a lot more ranking factors (reportedly about 200) like wether the links are contextual, wether they come from spammy/penalized domains, your anchor text ratio etc. etc, This is why I always have to cringe a little when people only seems to focus on (public) PR. Yes it's important, but by how much? Nobody actually knows.

I personally don't use any PR filters but I'm not using SER for tier 1, so I suggest you test it yourself. You can ask it on a forum like this but you'll get a lot of conflicting reports by people who all claim they know how to beat the crap out of Google. The only way to get a good answer is by setting up a semi-controlled YOURSELF. Make two sites, one with PR filters and one without. Or even better, make more site and also play with the OBL and engines. You'll get more reliable data than anyone will give you on a forum. Good luck!