Skip to content

GPU Restart

When I'm running GSA SER (with CB), sometimes my GPU restarts, saying It shut down and has recovered.

Strange thing Is, from what I can see monitoring, GSA SER doesn't use my GPU, nor Is It under any load while I  have GSA SER running.

What could be causing this? Also, my GPU has only ever shutdown and restarted while GSA SER Is running. Benchmarks, games, browsing, etc,. It's fine.

Comments

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    edited November 2014
    how can someone restart a GPU ? I never heared of that. Restarting an OS OK, but GPU ?
  • @Sven

Shit, thought accept meant allow the post lol, Issue not solved.

That's why I'm asking It here :)

My GPU Is crashing occasionally while I'm running GSA SER. Only ever happens while GSA SER and GSA CB are running.

• SvenSven www.GSA-Online.de
    how does a GPU crash look like? Just en-light me on this. However SER and CB do not use your GPU.
  • KaineKaine thebestindexer.com
    Surely problem driver.
  • edited November 2014
    @Sven

It's strange I know, and I stated that GSA SER and CB are not using ANY of my GPU (I monitored It). My screen shuts off, turns back on, a popup comes up saying my GPU has recovered. It's the same GPU restart If I were to be overclocking, and pushed It too far (GPU Is not overclocked).

What @Kaine stated, that could be It. I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers. I will try rolling back my drivers and see If that fixes the Issue. My GPU restarted just before I was going to reply to this thread while CB was running lol.

• xeroxiasxeroxias United States
    edited November 2014
    In extreme rare cases you can make some GPU share their memory as RAM. Which is quite hard to do! unless somebody installed linux and did all that programming for you! which is not likely what happened.

gsa ser dont use gpu what so ever! However, there is a possibility that your GPU is malfunctioning or overheating or simply dying! which has nothing to do with gsa! btw

to check that- take off the GPU off the Mother Board  and use the built-in gpu on the Mother Board and see if you face the same problem! if not, its your GPU who is trying to die! Replace it.

OR To check status of your GPU. Open Windows Control Panel >System and Security>Device Manager >Display Adapters and double click on the name of your graphics card and then look for whatever information is under "Device status." Usually it says, "This device is working properly." if not! then something is wrong!

and btw what you mean by "GPU restarts" ?? do you mean your OS restarts?
  • edited November 2014
    @xeroxias

The GPU Is working fine, and Is at a steady 25c while GSA SER Is running (which Is same as Idle temps). I have monitored everything, which leads me to believe It's a driver Issue as @Kaine stated.

If you have a gaming GPU, overclock It more than what you know It can handle, and run a benchmark. You will get the same result I am getting while GPU and vram Is under 0% load while SER and CB are running. It's a GPU restart, not OS crash.

I will be rolling back drivers and testing today.
  • Okay, pretty certain It's a driver Issue, rolled back my drivers. Put PC under the same stress as It was when GPU would crash, no more crashing.

Strange how GPU drivers were causing GPU crashes with SER/CB (at least with my setup) 0_o Guess I will stay a patch behind for now.
  • edited November 2014
    @Sven Wasn't drivers! I have figured out the Issue though (sorta)!

With a couple handy tools (both hardware and software), the problem Is GSA SER Is sucking up a decent amount of power. So much so, that It's starving my GPU even at Idle, making It restart (also occasional PC freezes for a few seconds).

I will be ordering another gold rated PSU to see If It's a faulty/dying PSU Issue.

Until then, I am cleaning up all my lists to see If that helps In some way. These freezes and GPU restarts happen In spikes (not sure what GSA SER Is spiking on). CPU spikes up, power consumption spikes, GPU starves, PC temporarily freezes, or GPU restarts.
  • xeroxiasxeroxias United States
    glad to see you got it sorted out!

why dont you get a VPS to run Gsa and other tools? so you wont have to go thru all the hassel of computer issues! you can get a pretty decent VPS with SSD hard drive very cheaply. 

• @xeroxias

I was on a dedicated server for a while, cost about $250ish a month, pretty good machine.

I took a break from GSA SER for a while, so I thought I would used earned money from SER to buy a server. I still use a dedicated server for 24/7 Scrapebox though, but that Is my SB only machine.