Skip to content

How Do You Organize Your GSA Lists? Any Tips?

edited January 2013 in Need Help
I'm trying to come up with a way to streamline the process and really get the most out of the lists.

I keep identified, submitted, and verified lists enabled in the options area. Failed is turned off for obviously reasons.

I used the file merge app that someone told me about (thank you!) and I combine the files and then import targets to a new project and do a big blast to see what gets verified. I move those files to another list and that's my "100% verified list".

The problem is that I can do 5, 10, or 15 runs on the combined identified/verified/submitted list and I'll get different results each time. I.E. The same site that gets me a link on the first run, doesn't get me a link on the second run or vice versa; can't read captcha, timeout, software hiccup, insert your reason for failed submission here.

There's just no way to truly mark a site as "USELESS NEVER SUBMIT TO AGAIN" or "WORKS EVERY TIME".... there's just too many variables to really narrow down what sites are successful and which are not -- at least how I am doing things.

So, I'm asking you GSA geniuses to let me in on how you really go through your site identified lists and sort the good from the bad more efficiently that I currently am.

-----------------

I already know about the thread below and I fully support it and want those features with every fiber of my being. But until those features are implemented, I'd still like to be able to be more efficiently build & organize my lists and learn from you guys who really know how to use GSA to the maximum.

I'm sure many of you have a few tricks and tips that the rest of us don't know.... and I want you to tell us NOW; lol..... seriously, we need to know!

https://forum.gsa-online.de/discussion/comment/9309#Comment_9309

Comments

• edited January 2013
    You are correct when you say there are too many variables.  And with that being noted it may be a waste of time trying to do what you are doing.  If you are looking for a 100% post list then I don't think that you will get there.  
    You are setting yourself up to repeat this process several times.  My thoughts get a strong rig (higher thread count) and for each completed project add to your list the successes.  If you want to drill down then use your failed list as a scrub list.  
    Occassionally run your scrub/failed list for successes and add those to your success list.  and delete that from your failed list.  So in essence if you want to do it your way just maintain 2 list success and failed.  There's always going to be different results-sites change-pages don't load-proxies fail etc.  hope it helps
  • AlexRAlexR Cape Town
    @TheSEOKrakken

1) What does "Krakken" mean? I thought it was that sea monster, but that's "kraken" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraken) - so now I'm curious?

2) What tool do you use to merge the files? That would be useful!

3) Hoping we can get the list management aspect looked at. Would be useful! 
  • You could keep a master list of your targets and do a comparison with the successful and verified lists using some fuzzy logic to filter out domains that don't show up in successful or verified list enough times after a certain amount of time. As for a tool you'd have to have software built, or hire a php programmer to do it server side... or be really organized with your files... appending dates... and do all the analyzing yourself, subtracting one list from another on a domain level (you can do that with Scrapebox).
  • 1. That's what I was going for. I like the double K. No reason other than that, lol.

2. http://download.cnet.com/Free-File-Merge/3000-2064_4-10559927.html

3. Yes, it would be great.

Yeah, a 100% post list is unrealistic. But with the amount of time wasted parsing the same URLS over and over again, I feel a good strong list that is combed, maintained, and frequently updated is the best way to use GSA. The problem is of course, I don't know how to really comb through it aside from running GSA projects dozens of times and then constantly moving the successes to a new file. Doable... but yeesh.... a pain in the arse.